South Carolina State Senate District 27
|South Carolina State Senate District 27|
|Current incumbent||Vincent A. Sheheen|
|Ethnicity||30.3% Black, 2.7% Hispanic|
|Voting age||76.4% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 91,873 civilians reside within South Carolina's twenty-seventh state senate district. South Carolina state senators represent an average of 100,551 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 87,218 residents.
About the chamber
- A U.S. citizen at the time of filing
- 21 years old at the filing deadline time
- A resident of the district at the filing deadline time
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the South Carolina Legislature are paid $10,400 a year during legislative sessions. Legislators receive $131 a day for meals and housing for each statewide session day and committee meeting. Per diem is tied to the federal rate.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, a special election must be held to fill the vacant seat. If candidates plan to seek the nomination through a party convention, the filing period begins on the third Friday after the vacancy happened. The qualifying deadline is ten days after the filing period opens.
If a candidate plans to seek the nomination via petition, all signatures must submitted to the appropriate filing officer no later than sixty days before the election. All signatures must be verified by the filing officer no later than 45 days before the election.
A primary election must be held on the eleventh Tuesday after the vacancy occurs. If necessary, a primary runoff must be held on the thirteenth Tuesday after the vacancy occurs. The special election is held on the eighteenth Tuesday after vacancy occurs. No special election can be held less than 60 days before the general election.
Elections for the office of South Carolina State Senate consisted of a primary election on June 12, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 30, 2012. Incumbent Vincent A. Sheheen (D) was unopposed in both the general election and Democratic primary.
Since 2000, candidates for South Carolina Senate District 27 have raised a total of $1,652,971. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $183,663 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, South Carolina Senate District 27|
- South Carolina State Legislature
- South Carolina State Senate
- South Carolina House of Representatives
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- publicmapping.org, "South Carolina 2010 Census Selected Statistics," accessed October 29, 2013
- South Carolina Secretary of State, "Qualifications for office," accessed December 18, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- South Carolina State Legislature, "South Carolina Code," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 7-13-190 (A)-(B))
- South Carolina State Legislature, "South Carolina Code," accessed December 9, 2014(Referenced Statute 7-13-190 (B))
- "South Carolina State Election Commission - Official General Election Results," accessed October 29, 2013
- "South Carolina State Election Commission - Official Primary Results," accessed October 29, 2013