Cities in South Carolina
(Redirected from South Carolina cities)
Types of local government
Local government in South Carolina consists of:
- Counties: There are 46 counties in South Carolina. The entire state is divided into counties. None have a charter.
- Municipalities: There are 270 cities and towns in South Carolina. There is not a significant legal difference between cities and towns. None have a charter.
- In addition, there are 283 special districts and 83 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
The initiative process is mandated in all South Carolina local governments.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in South Carolina|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
|North Charleston||99,727||General law||N/A|
|Mount Pleasant||69,357||General law||N/A|
|Rock Hill||67,423||General law||N/A|
|Hilton Head Island||37,675||General law||N/A|
Full list of cities
- See also: List of South Carolina cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
- Laws governing local ballot measures in South Carolina
- South Carolina ballot measures
- Counties in South Carolina
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Governments--Individual State Descriptions," accessed October 6, 2012, pg. 352
- Municipal Association of South Carolina, "Quick facts about South Carolina hometowns," accessed October 6, 2012
- Municipal Association of South Carolina, "Forms and Powers of Municipal Government," August 2012
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)