For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Counties in South Carolina
Types of local government
Local government in South Carolina consists of:
- Counties: There are 46 counties in South Carolina. The entire state is divided into counties. None have a charter.
- Municipalities: There are 270 cities and towns in South Carolina. There is not a significant legal difference between cities and towns. None have a charter.
- In addition, there are 283 special districts and 83 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
The initiative process is mandated in all South Carolina local governments.
County website evaluations
As of 2009:
- 16 South Carolina counties put their budget information on their websites.
- 32 counties included information on their websites about public government meetings.
- 40 included information about the county's elected officials.
- 34 included information about the county's administrative officials.
- 18 gave information about permits and zoning in the county.
- 18 counties put information on their websites about external audits.
- None of the counties provided information about contracts with county vendors.
- None of the county websites disclosed whether the county belonged to any government sector lobbying associations.
- Four county websites provided information on how to request public records using the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act.
- Only four county websites provided some information about county taxes.
Counties without websites
As of June 2010, only two South Carolina counties did not have a website: Lee and Marion counties.
- National Association of Counties Website, "County Seats," accessed September 12, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Governments--Individual State Descriptions," accessed October 6, 2012, pg. 352
- Municipal Association of South Carolina, "Quick facts about South Carolina hometowns," accessed October 6, 2012
- Municipal Association of South Carolina, "Forms and Powers of Municipal Government," August 2012
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
This article was taken and modified from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia under the GNU license.