South Carolina down ballot state executive elections, 2014
June 10, 2014
November 4, 2014
Governor • Lt. Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General
Treasurer, Comptroller, Auditor, Superintendent of Education, Commissioner of Agriculture, Adjutant General
- 1 Treasurer
- 2 Comptroller
- 3 Auditor
- 4 Superintendent
- 5 Agriculture Commissioner
- 6 Adjutant General
- 7 See also
- 8 References
South Carolina has an open primary system, in which registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party's primary. In the primary runoffs, however, voters must vote in the same party whose primary they voted in.
|Office||Incumbent||Assumed Office||Incumbent running?|
|Treasurer||Curtis Loftis, Jr.
|Comptroller General||Richard Eckstrom
|State Auditor||Richard Gilbert, Jr.||Undeclared|
|Superintendent of Education||Mick Zais
|Commissioner of Agriculture||Hugh Weathers
|Adjutant General||Robert E. Livingston, Jr.
The treasurer is the chief banker of the state of South Carolina, responsible for the investment, cash management, and safekeeping of the state's general and restricted funds and assets of the state's retirement systems.
The treasurer is a member of the following state boards and commissions:
- State Budget & Control Board
- South Carolina Retirement System Investment Commission
- State Board of Financial Institutions
- South Carolina Tobacco Authority
- South Carolina Education Authority
The mission of the Comptroller General's office is to "Serve the Legislature, Judiciary, Executive offices, state agencies, and the citizens of South Carolina by providing centralized payroll and vendor payment processing and centralized accounting and reporting of financial data in accordance with the statewide program budget structure mandated by the General Assembly and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)."
The main duties of the office include:
- supervising the state's spending
- keeping the state's books
- maintaining accounting controls over state agencies
- processing all payrolls for state employees, vouchers for bills owed by the state and interdepartmental payments between state agencies
- Michael Anthony - State representative
- Montrio Belton - Former director of School Transformation in the state Department of Education
The Adjutant General serves as head of the Military Department of the state, and is in charge of the South Carolina Army and Air National Guard, Emergency Management Division, the State Guard, Youth Challenge, and AmeriCorps.
- Treasurer.SC.gov, "Meet the treasurer," accessed October 13, 2011
- Cg.SC.gov, "Office of the Comptroller General: Fiscal Year 2009-2010 Accountability Report (page 4)," retrieved October 13, 2011
- South Carolina Radio Network, "Upstate lawmaker Anthony to run for State Education Superintendent," August 14, 2013
- The Island Packet, "Former Zais employee to seek Democratic nomination for state schools chief," September 23, 2013
MetaTags: Permission errorState of South Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller General | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |