South Carolina primary 2014 state executive officials preview
|June 10, 2014 Election Preview|
By Garrett Fortin
The 2014 South Carolina primary elections are being held on June 10, 2014. There are nine offices involved: Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State and five down ballot positions. In all, there are six races to watch, including one Democratic and five Republican contested primaries. Races in which no candidate gets 50% or more of the vote will be decided in a runoff election on June 24 between the top two candidates.
Below, Ballotpedia has put together a preview of those upcoming elections.
South Carolina Governor
There are no competitive primaries for Governor of South Carolina. Incumbent Republican Nikki Haley will face Democratic state senator Vincent Sheheen in November, alongside Libertarian Steve French, United Citizens Party candidate Morgan Reeves and Independent Tom Ervin.
South Carolina Lieutenant Governor
There are four candidates contesting the Republican nomination for South Carolina Lieutenant Governor. This is an open seat since incumbent Republican Glenn McConnell is leaving office to become a college president.
- Pat McKinney - Retired Charleston developer
- Mike Campbell
- Ray Moore
- Henry McMaster - former South Carolina Attorney General
The winner will face Democrat state representative Bakari Sellers in November. This is the final election in which the lieutenant governor is elected separately from the governor. Starting in 2018, candidates for governor will select running mates and run on a joint ticket, arguably making the winner of this election a lame duck immediately upon inauguration.
South Carolina Attorney General
South Carolina Secretary of State
South Carolina down ballot offices
The real statewide executive primary action in South Carolina on Tuesday is in the primaries for these five down ballot offices, with five of the night's six contested statewide executive primaries found here.
Gary Burgess - Member of the Anderson County Board of Education
- Agriculture Commissioner
- Adjutant General
- South Carolina state executive elections (overview):
- GoUpstate, "Retired Charleston developer to run for lieutenant governor," October 15, 2013
- South Carolina Election Commission, "Candidate Tracking," March 27, 2014
- South Carolina Election Commission, "Candidate Tracking," March 31, 2014
- The Island Packet, "Former Zais employee to seek Democratic nomination for state schools chief," September 23, 2013
- WISTV, "Another Republican announces run for SC Education Superintendent," January 22, 2014
- WISTV, "2nd Republican jumps into SC superintendent's race," January 22, 2014
- The Post and Courier, "Another contender jumps into the race for Superintendent of Education," February 7, 2014
The State, "Exclusive: Sally Atwater, widow of GOP operative, to run for SC education chief," February 7, 2014
- GoUpstate, "Mick Zais' deputy to enter GOP race," February 7, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid