South Dakota 1988 ballot measures
- Two of the measures were legislatively-referred constitutional amendments.
- Two of the measures were initiated constitutional amendments.
- Three of the measures were indirect initiated state statutes.
- One of the measures was a veto referendum.
- Five of the measures were approved.
- Three of the measures were defeated.
On the ballot
|Amendment A||Direct democracy||Removes the legislature from the initiative process|
|Amendment B||Gambling||Permits gambling in the city of Deadwood|
|Amendment C||Taxes||Limits property taxes|
|Amendment D||Admin of gov't||Eliminates the Board of Charities and Corrections|
|IndISS||Initiative 1||Natural resources||Requires surface mines to restore affected land to original contours|
|IndISS||Initiative 2||Taxes||Imposes a four percent gross sales tax on metallic minerals from surface mines|
|IndISS||Initiative 3||Agriculture||Bans corporate hog farms|
|VR||Referendum 4||Business reg||Revises regulations of telecommunications companies|
- 1988 ballot measures
- List of South Dakota ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in South Dakota
- South Dakota Secretary of State: Historical ballot measures and election results
- South Dakota Political Almanac, South Dakota Constitutional Amendments, Initiatives and Referendums 1970-2010
- Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research: Referenda Elections for South Dakota 1968-1990
State of South Dakota
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Secretary of Education | Director of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |