South Dakota 2008 ballot measures
- Four of the measures were legislatively-referred constitutional amendments.
- Three of the measures were initiated state statutes.
- One of the measures was approved.
- Six of the measures were defeated.
For a look at how the media in South Dakota feels about these ballot measures, please see endorsements of South Dakota ballot measures.
On the ballot
|Amendment G||Legislature||Repeals certain reimbursement restrictions for travel by legislators.|
|Amendment H||Business reg||Repeals certain provisions of the State Constitution relating to corporations.|
|Amendment I||Legislature||Provides for a maximum of forty legislative days each year.|
|Amendment J||Term limits||Eliminates term limits for legislators.|
|CISS||Initiative 9||Business reg||Regulates the purchase and sale of securities|
|CISS||Initiative 10||Elections||Places prohibitions and limitations on lobbying and campaigning practices|
|CISS||Initiative 11||Abortion||Places restrictions on abortion|
|VR||Ordinance 2008-1||Taxes||Enforces a wheel tax in McPherson County|
|VR||Ordinance 2008-001||Business Regulation||Builds an Oil Refinery in Union County|
Failed to make the 2008 ballot
|CISS||Tax Alcohol||Alcohol||Increase tax on alcohol, use money to fund programs|
|CISS||Home from Iraq||War and peace||Would end US occupation in Iraq|
|CISS||Lower the Drinking Age||Alcohol||Lower drinking age to 19 for drinks containing 3.2% alcohol or less|
|CISS||Kids and Teachers First||Education||Add a new section to the South Dakota Kids and Teachers First Transparency Act|
|CISS||Protect Private Property||Eminent domain||Overturn Senate Bill 174|
- 2008 ballot measures
- List of South Dakota ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in South Dakota
- South Dakota Secretary of State: Historical ballot measures and election results
- South Dakota Political Almanac, South Dakota Constitutional Amendments, Initiatives and Referendums 1970-2010
- South Dakota Secretary of State: Historical Election Data
- South Dakota Secretary of State, 2008 South Dakota Primary Election
State of South Dakota
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Secretary of Education | Director of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |