South Dakota Director of Insurance
|South Dakota Director of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$2,380,493|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||August 8, 2005|
|Other South Dakota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Commissioner of School and Public Lands • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
Article X, Section Y:
|58-2-1.1. Department as Division within Department of Labor and Regulation--Direction and supervision by department--Independent functions retained by division.
58-2-2.1. Appointment of director--Removal.
|58-2-3. Qualifications of director.
- either five years experience in insurance businesses regulated by the Division of Insurance;
- or, professional and business experience that equips him or her to fulfill the director's responsibilities.
The director of insurance and the secretary of labor are both appointed by the governor.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the South Dakota Director of Insurance has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The mission of the insurance division is to "protect the public and make insurance available and affordable by:
- efficiently providing quality assistance,
- providing fair regulation for industry, and
- promoting a healthy, competitive insurance market"
The division of insurance is divided into three main sections:
The budget for the Division of Insurance in Fiscal Year 2013 was $ 4,781,056.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the South Dakota Director of Insurance has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "South Dakota" + Director + of + Insurance
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- 5 Reasons Being a Woman Is Great in the Affordable Care Act Era - DailyFinance
- Nurturing childbirth: Assisting mothers through the birthing process is life ... - Rapid City Journal
- Cook Islands: Tiny nation that offers a different form of secrecy - Economic Times
- SD delegation on opposite ends of health care law, but agree to help citizens ... - The Republic
- SD health care sign-ups pick up in November - Prairie Business
- DEMOCRATS: Economic inequality hasn't resonated with voters. Will it next year? - Philly.com
- Robin Abcarian: More clueless politicking about women's bodies - Columbus Ledger-Enquirer
- Filing deadline near for South Dakota disaster jobless aid - KSFY
- States Pull O'Garro's Insurance Licenses - Hartford Courant
- Noem still pushing for farm bill in early '14 - Plainsman
South Dakota Division of Insurance
445 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre SD, 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3563
Fax: (605) 773-5369
- Insurance Commissioner
- Merle Scheiber
- South Dakota Secretary of Labor
- Pamela Roberts
- South Dakota state executive offices
- South Dakota Statutes, "Title 58, Chapter 2, Section 1.1," accessed August 2, 2013
- South Dakota Statutes, "Title 58, Chapter 2, Section 2.1," accessed August 2, 2013
- South Dakota Statutes, "Title 58, Chapter 2, Section 3," accessed August 2, 2013
- South Dakota Legislature, "South Dakota Codified Laws Chapter 1-37-1," Accessed December 26, 2012
- dlr.SD.gov, "Division of insurance," accessed October 24, 2011
- South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation "Insurance Division" Accessed February 4, 2013
- South Dakota Bureau Finance and Management, "Budget in Brief FY 2013," accessed April 8, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 28, 2014
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved May 14, 2011