South Dakota State Aircraft for State Use, Initiative 5 (2006)
The South Dakota State Aircraft for State Use Initiative, also known as Initiative 5, was on the November 7, 2006 ballot in South Dakota as an initiated state statute, where it was approved. The measure required aircraft owned or leased by the state to be used only for state business, with no exceptions.
|South Dakota Initiative 5 (2006)|
Text of measure
The text of the measure can be read here.
Reasons mentioned in support of the measure: government officials using public resources for personal reasons betrays the public trust and the potential for liability should an accident occur.
Donors to the campaign for the measure:
- National Taxpayers Union Ballot Committee: $354
- Total: $354
South Dakota Governor - Mike Rounds voted against Measure 5, saying, "When an opportunity arises to combine state business and a personal or family event, the governor should be allowed to do so" and "this [measure] will stop future governors from saving tax dollars by paying the state for use of the state plane when non-government events happen on the same trip."
Donors to the campaign against the measure:
- No on 5 Committee: $35,000
- Total: $35,000
- South Dakota 2006 ballot measures
- 2006 ballot measures
- List of South Dakota ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in South Dakota
- South Dakota Political Almanac, South Dakota Constitutional Amendments, Initiatives and Referendums 1970-2010
- South Dakota Secretary of State: 2006 Ballot Question Text
- State Travel Law Changes Spark Controversy Keloland TV, November 19, 2006
- Fly Me, I'm Mikey and I am really, really privileged and special, Dakota Today blog, June 10, 2006
- South Dakota Political Almanac, "South Dakota Constitutional Amendments, Initiatives and Referendums 1970-2010," accessed August 26, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Historical Election Data," accessed August 26, 2014
- South Dakota Ballot Question Pamphlet
- Follow the Money, "Donors"
- Governor Rounds' Position on 2006 Ballot Measures, Rounds for Governor website
State of South Dakota
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Secretary of Education | Director of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |
|historical ballot measure article requires the text of the measure to be added to the page.|