South Dakota Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources
|South Dakota Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$21,668,089|
|Authority:||South Dakota codified laws, Chapter 1-40|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Other South Dakota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Commissioner of School and Public Lands • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Steven Pirner. He was first appointed to the position in 2000.
The department was initially called the Department of Natural Resource Development, and in 1973 was renamed in Chapter 1-40, Section 1 of the South Dakota codified laws. The position of the secretary within the department is established in Chapter 1-40, Section 2.
Chapter 1-40-1, 1-40-2:
|Department renamed. The former Department of Natural Resource Development, also formerly known as the Department of Water and Natural Resources, is hereby continued as the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
Secretary as head of department. The head of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources is the secretary of environment and natural resources.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the South Dakota Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The secretary is appointed by the Governor of South Dakota.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the South Dakota Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The mission of the department is "to protect public health and the environment by providing:
- environmental monitoring and natural resource assessment
- technical and financial assistance for environmental projects
- environmental regulatory services"
There are two divisions within the department, each with several sections:
- Division of Environmental Services
- Air quality
- Drinking water
- Groundwater quality
- Minerals and mining
- Waste management
- Surface water quality
- Water rights
- Division of Financial and Technical Assistance
- Fiscal management
- Geological survey
- Information services
- Petroleum release compensation fund
- Water resources assistance
The budget for the Department of Environment and Natural Resources in Fiscal Year 2013 was $ 21,668,089.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the South Dakota Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "SouthDakota" + Secretary + of + Environment + and + "Natural Resources"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Fellow Democrats press Obama to approve Keystone, following environmental ... - Fox News
- Keystone oil pipeline clears hurdle - The News Herald
- White House says Keystone report not final step as pressure mounts for action - Fox News
- Report supports Keystone pipeline - The Columbian
- 'Good day' for pipeline supporters, Wall says - StarPhoenix
- Keystone pipeline to have 'no impact' on climate change - Oman Tribune
- Report clears Keystone on environmental issues - Columbia Daily Tribune
- State Department: Keystone XL pipeline's climate effect negligible - The Seattle Times
- US says no major climate impact from Keystone pipeline - Business Recorder
- US downplays environmental impact of Keystone XL pipeline - Deutsche Welle
Department of Environment & Natural Resources
Joe Foss Building
523 E. Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3151
Fax: (605) 773-6035
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources," Accessed December 26, 2012
- South Dakota Legislature, "South Dakota Codified Laws," Accessed December 26, 2012
- Denr.SD.gov, "DENR organization," accessed October 24, 2011
- South Dakota Bureau Finance and Management, "Budget in Brief FY 2013," accessed April 8, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 28, 2014
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved May 14, 2011
State of South Dakota
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Secretary of Education | Director of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |