Cities in South Dakota
(Redirected from South Dakota cities)
South Dakota allows municipal charter cities and counties. There are 66 total counties in South Dakota. Of those 66:
Types of local government
Local government in South Dakota consists of:
- Counties: There are 66 counties in South Dakota. Two of these, Shannon and Todd, operate under home rule charters.
- Townships: There are 916 townships in South Dakota. 52 of South Dakota's 66 counties contain townships. These townships comprise the organized areas of the county that are not included in a municipality.
- Municipalities: There are 310 municipalities in South Dakota. 10 of these operate under home rule charters. They are: Aberdeen, Beresford, Brookings, Elk Point, Faith, Fort Pierre, Pierre, Sioux Falls, Springfield, and Watertown.
- In addition, there are 543 special districts and 152 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
All incorporated local governments have mandated initiative and referendum.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in South Dakota|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
|Rapid City||69,200||General law||N/A|
Full list of cities
- See also: List of South Dakota cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
- Laws governing local ballot measures in South Dakota
- South Dakota ballot measures
- Counties in South Dakota
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- South Dakota Legislative Research Council, Home rule in South Dakota
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Governments--Individual State Descriptions," accessed October 11, 2012, pg. 364
- South Dakota Municipal League, "Overview of Municipal Government in SD," accessed October 11, 2012
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)