South Dakota government sector lobbying
This practice is controversial because public funds are spent to lobby for an agenda not subject to direct approval by voters, and outcomes may be contrary taxpayers benefit.
Several publicly-funded learning institutions lobby for specific legislative ends:
School of Mines
The lobbyist for the School of Mines secured $380,000 in federal transportation dollars fall 2008 to improve access to the school and for a business incubator on campus.
South Dakota State University
South Dakota State University has paid the Bockorny Group $160,000 since first hiring the consulting and lobbying firm. Bockorny helped win federal authorization for the Sun Grant Initiative from which SDSU is scheduled to receive $3.8 million for researching bioenergy alternatives.
The University of South Dakota
The University of South Dakota employs the services of Van Scoyoc Associates since November 2007, and has paid the firm $120,000 since that time.
Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations
City and municipal
- Brookings County Association of Town & Townships
- Municipal League of South Dakota
- South Dakota Association of Towns & Townships
- South Dakota Municipal League
- Associated School Boards of South Dakota
- Midsize School Organization
- School Administrators of South Dakota
- South Dakota Association of Assessing Officers
- Collectors Association of South Dakota
- South Dakota Association of Conservation Districts