Southwest Independent School District, Texas
|Southwest Independent School District|
|Bexar County, Texas|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Lloyd Verstuyft|
|Number of schools:||16|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Mike C. Frazier|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Southwest ISD
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the districtBexar County, Texas. The county seat of Bexar County is San Antonio. The county's population was 1,714,773 according to the 2010 U.S. Census.
Bexar County underperforms in comparison to the rest of Texas slightly in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 25.9 percent of Bexar County residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 26.3 percent rate for the state of Texas. Bexar County had a median income of $49,141 in 2010 compared to $51,563 for Texas. The poverty rate for Bexar County was 17.8 percent in 2010 compared to a 17.4 percent rate for the rest of the state.
|Racial Demographics, 2012|
|Race||Bexar County (%)||Texas (%)|
|Black or African American||8.1||12.3|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||1.2||1.0|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||0.2||0.1|
|Two or More Races||2.1||1.7|
|Hispanic or Latino||59.1||38.2|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The superintendent of Southwest Independent School District is Dr. Lloyd Verstuyft, who was appointed to the position in May 2010. He began his career in 1989 as a teacher and coach at McNair Middle School in Southwest ISD. He has since held the positions of assistant principal, principal and various other administrative roles, including assistant superintendent for Southwest ISD.
The Southwest School Board consists of seven members who are elected at-large to three-year terms.
|Southwest School Board|
|Mike C. Frazier||President||2017|
|Sylvester Vasquez, Jr.||Vice President||2016|
|James Sullivan, Jr.||Assistant Secretary||2015|
School board elections
Members of the Southwest school board are elected to three-year terms. Two seats were up for election in May 2014; Board President Mike C. Frazier and member Yolanda Garza-Lopez were re-elected to the board. Three seats will be on the ballot in May 2015 and two seats in May 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Trustees maintains the following policy regarding public participation in board meetings last updated in 2011:
As long as the requirements of the Open Meetings Act are satisfied and the right of citizens to apply to the Board for redress of their grievances is not abridged, the Board need not provide a public forum for every citizen wishing to express an opinion on a matter. Reasonable restraints on the number, length, and frequency of presentations are permissible. The Board may limit the number of persons it will hear on a particular subject and the frequency with which they may appear, so long as the regulation does not abridge constitutionally guaranteed rights of freedom of speech and to petition nor unfairly discriminate among views seeking expression. 
—Southwest Independent School District's website, (2011), 
Southwest Independent School District publishes its annual budget on their district website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teachers in Southwest Independent School District earn annual salaries based on years on the job as well as educational achievement. Based on the 2013-2014 pay scale, teachers with no experience and a bachelor's degree start out earning a salary of $49,305 and earn up to $65,255 with 31 years or more experience. Teachers with no experience and a master's degree start out earning a salary of $50,305 and earn up to $68,825 with 31 years or more experience. An additional $1000 is added to the master's degree pay scale for those with a doctorate degree.
Schools in Southwest ISD
Southwest Independent School District serves 12,459 students, as of 2011-2012 enrollment data. Southwest Independent School District does not publicly archive enrollment data.
Southwest Independent School District operates 16 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Southwest Independent School District Schools|
|Big Country Elementary School|
|Bob Hope Elementary School|
|Elm Creek Elementary School|
|Hidden Cove Elementary School|
|Indian Creek Elementary School|
|Kriewald Road Elementary School|
|McAuliffe Middle School|
|McNair Middle School|
|Medio Creek Elementary School|
|Scobee Middle School|
|Sky Harbour Elementary School|
|Southwest Elementary School|
|Southwest High School|
|Spicewood Park Elementary School|
|Sun Valley Elementary School|
The Texas Education Agency issues an annual accountability report for each school district in the state. This rating determines if district schools fulfill expectations in four categories of educational achievement during a particular school year. The following terms explain these categories:
- Student Achievement: Measures student performance on the annual Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test.
- Student Progress: Measures student performance in reading, math and writing courses at the district level.
- Closing Performance Gaps: Measures year-to-year performance among students in the lowest-performing demographics.
- Postsecondary Readiness: Measures student readiness for college, employment or military service after graduation.
Southwest Independent School District received a Met Standard designation on the state's 2013 report. District schools met 81 percent of indicators set forth by state education officials and all four assessment categories. The following table details the district's accountability report during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Performance Index Summary, 2012-2013|
|Category||Points earned||Maximum points||Index score||Target score|
|Closing Performance Gaps||940||1,500||63||50|
- School board elections portal
- Southwest Independent School District elections (2014)
- Texas school districts
- List of school districts in Texas
- Southwest Independent School District, "Southwest Independent School District FISCAL YEAR: 2011-12," accessed December 3, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Bexar County," accessed March 12, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Southwest Independent School District, "Superintendent," accessed June 24, 2014
- Southwest Independent School District, "Southwest ISD School Board," accessed June 24, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Southwest Independent School District, "Public Participation," May 23, 2011
- Southwest Independent School District, "Teacher Salary Pay Scale," accessed June 24, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed February 18, 2014
- Southwest Independent School District, "Southwest ISD Schools," accessed June 24, 2014
- Southwest Independent School District, "Accountability Summary 2013," accessed June 24, 2014