Soyla "Kiki" Peralta recall, Superior, Arizona (2013)
2010 recall attempt
Peralta was also subject to a recall attempt in August 2010 by residents angry at her representation of them in the local community. She won that election when she received 236 votes to Merlin Gindlesperger's 149 votes, Jonathan Kolton's 126 votes, and 8 write-ins.
Reasons for recall
The group that led the effort to recall Peralta was Superior Copper Alliance; it was chaired by Bill Vogler. The alliance was a group of business owners and area residents who supported a proposed $6 billion copper mine. Superior Copper Alliance stated the recall was based on "the grounds of maleficence and multiple violations of the open meeting law."
|Town of Superior Recall Election|
|BESICH LIRA, MILA||438||64.32%|
|Election results via: Pinal County Elections (Unofficial results last updated:8/28/2013)|
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Arizona
Superior Copper Alliance stated that they needed 120 signatures to trigger the recall and turned in 208 to the Superior Town Clerk.
- Superior, Arizona, "Resolution No. 544," accessed: July 21, 2013
- Superior Copper Alliance, "What is the Superior Copper Alliance," March 23, 2013
- silverbelt.com, "Superior Council member Peralta faces recall election," July 16, 2013
- The Superior Sun, "Peralta unofficial winner of town recall election," September 01, 2010
- The Superior Sun, "Council candidate Peralta shares thoughts on August 24 recall election," August 18, 2010
State of Arizona
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Lands | Director of Labor | Chairman of Corporation Commission | State Mine Inspector |