For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Spartanburg County, South Carolina
Spartanburg County is one of 46 counties in South Carolina. The 2010 census recorded its population to be 284,307.Its county seat is Spartanburg.The county comprises the Spartanburg, South Carolina, Metropolitan Statistical Area. The USS Spartanburg County (LST-1192) is named after the county.
Last rated on May 2, 2012.
- Tax data search available. Tax levy sheet posted.
- Budget is published.
- Building permit instructions and forms are available.
- Audits are available.
- Bids are available, as well as award results.
- Council members listed with contact information. Meeting schedule, minutes and agendas available.
- Administrative officials listed under respective departments.
- Site does not have a search function.
- Zoning details are not posted.
- County contracts are not published.
- Does not disclose if belongs to government sector lobbying associations.
- Information on how to make a public records request is not provided on the site.
Spending under the FY 2011-2012 budget totals $153,069,804. This is a 1.23% increase over the previous fiscal year. The Capital Budget includes $16,911567 in funding, over $6 million of which is for road and bridge related projects. The County's long-term outstanding debt was $61,625,000 at the end of the FY 2010-2011 budget period.
The budget classifies expenditures by type as personnel services (salaries, health insurance, retirement, etc.), operating expenditures (office supplies, software, uniforms, etc.), capital outlay (desks, chairs, computer equipment, etc.), and other expenditures (transfers, outside agency contributions, etc.). Expenditures by type for FY 2011-2012 are:
|Expenditure Type||Total||Percent of Total|
The county is governed by a seven member County Council. Members are:
|Jeffrey A. Horton||Chairman||01/01/2015|
|Michael D. Brown||Member||District 1||01/01/2013|
|O'Neal Mintz||Member||District 2||01/01/2015|
|David Britt||Member||District 3||01/01/2013|
|Jane W. Hall||Member||District 4||01/01/2013|
|Dale Culbreth||Member||District 5||01/01/2014|
|Roger Nutt||Member||District 6||01/01/2015|
County Council members earn salaries of $12,500. The Chairman's salary is slightly higher, at $15,000.
The current County Administrator is Katherine L. Hubbard. The County Administrator carries out the policies of the County Council, oversees the day-to-day operations of the county, and appoints all non-elected department heads. The Administrator is appointed by the County Council, and assisted by a deputy administrator and an assistant administrator.
The county does not provide information on employee salaries. A database provided by the Journal Watchdog lists 6 county employees earning over $100,000 per year in 2011. Those employees are:
|Darryl Breed||County Administrator (former)||$133,737.00|
|Ponda Caldwell||Probate Judge||$127,036.00|
|Gordon Cooper||Master in Equity||$119,594.00|
|Charles Wright, Jr.||Sheriff||$105,530.00|
|Alfred Rickett||Finance Director||$101,697.00|
Employees participate in the South Carolina Retirement System.
Information is not provided on taxpayer funded lobbying.
Transparency & public records
The 2011 tax levy sheet can be found here.
- Official Spartanburg County Website
- Spartanburg County Detention Facility
- Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office
- Spartanburg County Public Libraries
- Quick Facts United States Census Bureau