Special election in Massachusetts to replace Markey
Boston, Massachusetts: Tomorrow voters will select the replacement for the 5th District seat left vacant by Ed Markey's (D) successful campaign for the U.S. Senate. Democratic state Senator Katherine Clark will face Republican nominee Frank Addivinola and two third party candidates — James Aulenti and James Hall. Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Markey resigned after winning a special election to fill John Kerry's Senate seat. Kerry had stepped down to become secretary of state. Markey won election to the U.S. Senate from Massachusetts in the general election on June 25, 2013.
Clark beat out six challengers Will Brownsberger, Peter Koutoujian, Martin Long, Paul John Maisano, Karen Spilka and Carl Sciortino to win the Democratic nomination in the primary election. Addivinola defeated challengers Mike Stopa and Tom Tierney for the Republican nomination.
Clark far outraised Addivinola in campaign contributions. According to reports, Clark raised $1.18 million during the special election cycle, including $323,000 in the reporting period from October 1, 2013, to November 20, 2013.
Addivinola raised just $27,000 during the same reporting period and less than $40,000 during the entire election campaign, as well as a $61,000 loan to his campaign. He spent almost no money campaigning – less than $10,000 – and reported having $96,000 in the bank at end of November.
Massachusetts' 5th Congressional District is considered a safe Democratic district. The state currently has an all Democratic congressional delegation. The winner of the general election will then face voters again in 2014 for a full term.
- Massachusetts' 5th Congressional District special election, 2013
- Massachusetts' 5th Congressional District
- Massachusetts elections, 2013
- United States House of Representatives
- Special elections to the 113th United States Congress (2013-2014)
- Special Election Candidates from Massachusetts Elections Division
- Special Election Calendar
- Candidate's Guide for 2013 Special Election
- Current Massachusetts Special Elections
- Massachusetts Elections Division, "Candidate List," accessed December 8, 2013
- Metro West Daily News, "Election Tuesday to fill Markey's U.S. Rep. seat," accessed December 8, 2013
- Massachusetts Secretary of State, "Voting Questions"
- The Republic, "Candidates vying for Mass. 5th Congressional District seat making final pitches to voters," accessed Decemebr 8, 2013
- Boston.com, "Markey win sets up special election for House" accessed June 27, 2013 (dead link)
- WCVB TV, "Massachusetts U.S. Senate Special Election Results," accessed June 25, 2013
- WCVB, "2013 U.S. Senate Special Election Results," accessed April 30, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Politico, "Special Massachusetts House election set" accessed July 16, 2013
- Boston Globe, "Clark, Addivinola face off in congressional race," accessed December 8, 2013
- Masslive.com. "State Sen. Katherine Clark has raised more than $1.1 million in U.S. House special election," accessed November 29, 2013
- Boston.com,, "Democratic candidates spar in 5th District debate," accessed December 13, 2013
- Roll Call, "Campaign Poll: Democrat Widens Lead in Massachusetts Special Primary | #MA05," accessed December 2, 2013
- Boston Herald, "Clark wins Dems Mass. 5th District primary," accessed December 15, 2013