St. Joseph School District elections (2014)
Method of election
St. Joseph School District
Buchanan County, Missouri ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Missouri
Two seats on the St. Joseph School District board were up for general election on April 8, 2014. Since incumbents Sarah Siemens and Sue Wagner did not file for re-election, both elected members are newcomers to the board. Kappy Hodges and Lori Prussman narrowly edged out Jeff Bird for the two at-large seats.
About the districtMissouri in Buchanan County. The county seat of Buchanan County is St. Joseph. St. Joseph is home to 77,147 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the 2011-2012 school year, the St. Joseph School District was the 17th-largest school district in Missouri and served 11,721 students.
Higher education achievement
St. Joseph underperformed in comparison to the rest of Missouri in terms of higher education attainment. The United States Census Bureau found that 20.4 percent of St. Joseph residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 25.8 percent rate for the state of Missouri.
Median household income
St. Joseph had a median household income of $42,248 in 2010 compared to $47,333 for Missouri.
The poverty rate for St. Joseph was 18.4 percent in 2010 compared to a 10.5 percent rate for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Method of board member selection
The St. Joseph school board consists of seven members elected at-large to six-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 8, 2014 for two seats. Three will be on the ballot in 2016.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on December 17, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was January 21, 2014 and the deadline for candidate certification was January 28, 2014.
- Jeff Bird
- Loan officer and branch manager, Nodaway Bank
- Kappy Hodges
- Community volunteer
- Lori Prussman
- State PTA treasurer
|St. Joseph School District, At-Large General Election, 6-year term, 2014|
|Source: Buchanan County, Missouri, "General Municipal Elections Official Results," June 20, 2014|
Kappy Hodges was endorsed by the Saint Joseph Building & Construction Trades Council.
Candidates received a total of $8,050.90 and spent $4,588.88, according to the Missouri Ethics Commission.
The following dates were key deadlines for the St. Joseph School District election in 2014:
|December 17, 2013||First day for candidate filing|
|December 24, 2013||First day for candidate filing (Kansas City)|
|January 21, 2014||Last day for candidate filing|
|January 28, 2014||Final certification date|
|March 12, 2014||Last day to register to vote|
|April 8, 2014||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
The St. Joseph school board election shared the ballot with other municipal elections in Buchanan County.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "St. Joseph + School + District + Missouri"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- St. Joseph School District, Missouri
- Missouri school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Buchanan County, Missouri ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Missouri
- Election preview: More than 100 candidates running in California, Missouri and South Dakota school board elections
- Post-election:Incumbents fare well in Missouri, South Dakota and California school board elections
- United States Census Bureau, "St. Joseph (city), Missouri," accessed February 5, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- Missouri Secretary of State, "Missouri Election Results," accessed January 23, 2015
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Missouri Secretary of State, "2014 Election Calendar," accessed February 6, 2014
- Kappy Hodges Saint Joseph School Board, "Kappy endorsed by Saint Joseph Building & Construction Trades Council," accessed April 1, 2014
- Missouri Ethics Commission, "Campaign Finance Reports," accessed April 8, 2014
|2014 St. Joseph School District Elections|
|Buchanan County, Missouri|
|Election date:||April 8, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: Jeff Bird • Kappy Hodges • Lori Prussman|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|