St. Joseph School District elections (2014)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
What was at stake?
St. Joseph School District
Buchanan County, Missouri ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Missouri
Two seats on the St. Joseph School District board were up for general election on April 8, 2014. Since incumbents Sarah Siemens and Sue Wagner did not file for re-election, both elected members are newcomers to the board. Kappy Hodges and Lori Prussman narrowly edged out Jeff Bird for the two at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: St. Joseph School District, Missouri
St. Joseph underperforms the rest of Missouri in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 20.4% of St. Joseph residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 25.8% rate for the state of Missouri. St. Joseph had a median income of $42,248 in 2010 compared to $47,333 for Missouri. The poverty rate for St. Joseph was 18.4% in 2010 compared to a 10.5% rate for the rest of the state.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||St. Joseph (%)||Missouri (%)|
|Black or African American||6.0||11.6|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.5||0.5|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||0.2||0.1|
|Two or More Races||2.7||2.1|
|Hispanic or Latino||5.7||3.5|
Method of board member selection
The St. Joseph school board consists of seven members elected at-large to three-year terms. There is no primary election and the general election was held on April 8, 2014 for two seats. Three will be on the ballot in 2015.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on December 17, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was January 21, 2014 and the deadline for candidate certification was January 28, 2014.
- Jeff Bird
- Loan officer and branch manager, Nodaway Bank
- Kappy Hodges
- Community volunteer
- Lori Prussman
- State PTA treasurer
|St. Joseph School District, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Source: Alonzo Weston, St. Joseph News-Press, "Hodges, Prussman win school board seats," April 8, 2014 These election results are unofficial. They will be updated once certified election results are available.|
Kappy Hodges was endorsed by the Saint Joseph Building & Construction Trades Council.
Candidates received a total of $8,050.90 and spent $4,588.88, according to the Missouri Ethics Commission.
What was at stake?
Two seats on the St. Joseph school board were up for general election on April 8, 2014. Since incumbents Sarah Siemens and Sue Wagner did not file for re-election, both elected members are newcomers to the board. Kappy Hodges and Lori Prussman narrowly edged out Jeff Bird for the two at-large seats.
The following dates were key deadlines for the St. Joseph School District election in 2014:
|December 17, 2013||First day for candidate filing|
|December 24, 2013||First day for candidate filing (Kansas City)|
|January 21, 2014||Last day for candidate filing|
|January 28, 2014||Final certification date|
|March 12, 2014||Last day to register to vote|
|April 8, 2014||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
The St. Joseph school board election shared the ballot with other municipal elections in Buchanan County.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "St. Joseph + School + District + Missouri"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- St. Joseph School District, Missouri
- Missouri school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Buchanan County, Missouri ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Missouri
- Election preview: More than 100 candidates running in California, Missouri and South Dakota school board elections
- Post-election:Incumbents fare well in Missouri, South Dakota and California school board elections
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: St. Joseph," accessed February 5, 2014
- Missouri Secretary of State, "2014 Election Calendar," accessed February 6, 2014
- Kappy Hodges Saint Joseph School Board, "Kappy endorsed by Saint Joseph Building & Construction Trades Council," accessed April 1, 2014
- Missouri Ethics Commission, "Campaign Finance Reports," accessed April 8, 2014
|2014 St. Joseph School District Elections|
|Buchanan County, Missouri|
|Election date:||April 8, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: Jeff Bird • Kappy Hodges • Lori Prussman|
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|