Tampa Bay Times
The Times is Florida's largest newspaper and Tampa Bay's leading news website. In 2013, the Times had 941,400 readers, and readership for the Sunday paper reached 871,000. The paper's website at 368,2000 daily local visitors, and tbt* had 552,300 daily readers.
The Times is published by the Times Publishing Co., which is owned by the Poynter Institute, a nonprofit journalism school.
The Times family includes the tbt*, a free daily which is geared toward active 20-somethings in the Tampa Bay area, tb-two*, a weekly high school newspaper, Bay, a magazine about upscale living, tampabay.com and PolitiFact.
The Times traces its origins to a four-page newspaper printed in a pharmacy in Dunedin, Florida in 1884. Although the paper changed hands multiple times, in 1907 the became a twice-weekly publication, and, in 1912, it was published six days a week.
In September 1912, Paul Poynter purchased the paper. The paper continued to grow. In the 1920s, the Times published daily and built and eight-story building.
Poynter's son, Nelson, eventually took control of the paper, and it continued to grow, eventually becoming the largest paper in Florida and the 25th larges in the United States.
Andrew Barnes took control following Nelson's retirement. In 2004, Barnes was succeeded by Paul C. Tash who has been committed to adapting the paper to the changing interests and needs of readers.
On January 1, 2012, the St. Petersburg Times officially became the Tampa Bay Times.
The Times has won nine Pulitzer Prizes since 1964. It has also received multiple nominations for Pulitzers, ten of which were finalists. Additionally, the paper has received journalism honors for writing, editing, photography, illustration and design.
- Tampa Bay Times Official Web Site.
- tbt* A free, daily, tabloid-style newspaper, published by the Tampa Bay Times.
- Bay News 9 a local television partner of the Tampa Bay Times.
- Twitter feed
- ↑ Tampa Bay Times, accessed December 3, 2013
- ↑ Tampa Bay Times, "Fall 2013 audience: All products," accessed December 3, 2013
- ↑ Tampa Bay Times, "Company," accessed December 3, 2013
- ↑ Tampa Bay Times, "Media kit," accessed December 3, 2013
- ↑ Tampa Bay Times, "Times history," accessed December 3, 2013
- ↑ Tampa Bay Times, "Pulitzer Prizes," accessed December 3, 2013
- ↑ Tampa Bay Times," "Other journalism honors," accessed December 3, 2013
This article was taken from [ Wikipedia] under the GNU license