State Government Committee, Tennessee House of Representatives
Per Rule 6 of the House Rules, committees of the Tennessee House of Representatives are appointed by the Speaker of the House. In each standing committee and for the Committee on Calendar and Rules, the Speaker of the House appoints one chair, one vice-chair, and one secretary. The Speaker considers the abilities, preferences, seniority of members, and the political party representation in the House when appointing committees and committee officers. Members are appointed to server on no more than two standing committees, exclusive of the Committee on Calendar and Rules. The Speaker of the House and the Speaker Pro Tempore are voting members of each standing committee.
See rules: Permanent Rules of Order
|“||The nature of the legislation referred to this committee is often very complex. Legislation addressing such matters as local and municipal affairs (forms of local government, powers to tax and raise revenue, local ordinances, local government employees, local government expenditures); cultural affairs; alcoholic beverage taxes and regulations of sale; election laws; holidays and celebrations; military parks and battlefields; museums; preservation of historical markers; private utility districts; public lands; state and public libraries; state government in general; Veteran's affairs; annexation; and penal and correctional institutions often appear.||”|
The following table describes committee membership at the beginning of the 2013 legislative session.
|State Government Members, 2013|
|Democratic members (3)||Republican members (9)||Third-party members (1)|
|• Darren Jernigan||• Ryan Haynes, Chair||• Kent Williams|
|• Jason Powell||• Sheila Butt, Vice-chair|
|• Johnny Shaw||• Joshua Evans|
|• Debra Moody|
|• Bob Ramsey|
|• Bill Sanderson|
|• Billy Spivey|
|• Curry Todd|
|• Eric Watson|
- Tennessee House of Representatives 108th General Assembly, "Permanent Rules of Order," March 14, 2013(Section 6)
- Tennessee House of Representatives 108th General Assembly, "Permanent Rules of Order," March 14, 2013(Section 7)
- Tennessee House of Representatives 108th General Assembly, "Permanent Rules of Order," March 14, 2013(Section 65)
- Tennessee General Assembly, "House Standing Committee - State and Local Government," accessed January 23, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Tennessee
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environment & Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Chairman of Regulatory Authority |