State legislatures compared by extent of electoral competitiveness in 2011
|2011 Competitiveness Overview|
| Primary competition (state comparison) |
| Incumbents with no challenges at all in 2011 |
Incumbents defeated • Victorious challengers •
|Major party challengers (state comparison)|
|List of candidates with no competition|
|Open seats (state comparisons)|
| Impact of term limits on # of open seats |
Long-serving senators • Long-serving reps
|Chart Comparing 2011 Results|
|Chart Comparing 2011 Results • Comparisons Between Years|
|Competitiveness Index • Absolute Index|
|2011 State Legislative Elections|
|Competitiveness Studies from Other Years|
|2007 • 2009 • 2010 • 2012|
- The first column, "Primary Contests," ranks states against each other based on the percentage of incumbents who had a primary challenger.
- The second column, "Major Party Competition," ranks states against each other based on the percentage of major party candidates on the general election ballot with a major party challenger.
- The third column, "Open Seats," contrasts states based on the percentage of incumbents who ran for re-election in 2011.
- The fourth column is an arithmetical average of the state's scores on the all three factors.
States compared by electoral competitiveness
Note on ranking system: In each case, 1 represents the most electorally competitive environment, and 4 represents the least electorally competitive environment. (4 is the highest relevant number in 2011, because there are state legislative elections in 4 states in 2011.)
|State legislature||Primary contests||Major party competition||Open seats||Overall rank|
- State legislative elections, 2011
- Impact of term limits on state legislative elections in 2011
- 2011 state legislative elections analyzed using a Competitiveness Index
- Incumbents with no primary challenger in the 2011 state legislative elections
- Major party candidates with major party competition in the November 2011 state legislative elections
- Open seats in the 2011 state legislative elections