|Connecticut Commissioner of Education|
|September 7, 2011 - January 6, 2015|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||September 7, 2011|
|Appointed by||Gov. Dan Malloy (D)|
Before his appointment, Pryor was the deputy mayor of Newark, New Jersey.
Pryor announced in August 2014 that he would step down as education commissioner when Malloy's term ended in January 2015. The board of education named Dianna Wetzell, the state department of education’s current chief academic officer, to fill the role until a permanent appointment is made. Once out of the commissioner's office in Connecticut, Pryor transitioned into a different statewide position, this time for the government of Rhode Island. Recently-elected Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo had selected Pryor to be the state's first commerce secretary.
Pryor previously served as Deputy Mayor for Economic Development in the City of Newark, New Jersey. Pryor also served as the Chairman of Brick City Development Corporation, Newark’s economic development organization, which he helped to found.
Prior to serving as deputy mayor, Pryor served as President of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, which was created in the aftermath of September 11, 2001, to plan and help coordinate the physical rebuilding and economic revitalization of lower Manhattan. From 1998-2001, Pryor served as the Vice President for Education at the Partnership for New York City.
- Yale University, Bachelor’s degree in psychology
- Yale University, Law degree
- Yale Teacher Preparation Program
Connecticut Commissioner of Education (2011-2015)
On September 7, 2011, the State Board of Education unanimously recommended Pryor Governor Dan Malloy, who verified the appointment immediately thereafter. Pryor resigned in August 2014, and left office in January 2015.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Stefan + Pryor + Connecticut + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Connecticut Commissioner of Education, "STEFAN PRYOR NAMED COMMISSIONER OF EDUCATION," accessed November 30, 2011
- WTNH8.com, "Acting Conn. education commissioner set to retire," June 29, 2011
- CBS New York, "Connecticut Education Commissioner Stefan Pryor Stepping Down," August 19, 2015
- The Middletown Press News, "Former New London superintendent eyed as Connecticut education commissioner," January 6, 2015
- The Register Citizen, "Ex-Connecticut official OK’d as Rhode Island commerce secretary," February 4, 2015
- Connecticut Commissioner of Education, "Pryor Biography" accessed October 2, 2012
- Connecticut Post, "Stefan Pryor named state's next Commissioner of Education," September 6, 2011
|Connecticut Commissioner of Education
| Succeeded by|