|Running for U.S. House, Kansas, District 2|
|General election||November 4, 2014|
|Kansas State Senate District 5|
|January 14, 2013 - Present|
|January 9, 2017|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next primary||August 5, 2014|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
Fiztgerald's professional experience includes working as a military analyst and trainer for Northrop Grumman. He served in the United States Army.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Fitzgerald served on the following committees:
|Kansas Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Ethics, Elections and Local Government|
|• Ways and Means|
Fitzgerald's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Strong Economic Development
- Excerpt: "We must improve the road network and especially our connections with the interstates and the Kansas City area. We need infrastructure to attract business and increase jobs."
Kansas Family Values
- Excerpt: "We need a government that values the family in all parts of our society. "
- Excerpt: "Law-abiding citizens in Kansas should be trusted with the exercise of their right to carry concealed weapons."
- Excerpt: "Individual Kansans and small businesses are over taxed in Kansas."
- Excerpt: "The cost of education K-12 in Kansas has steadily increased with little or no improvement in results. Kansas ranks 48 out of 50 states for getting resources to the classroom."
Fitzgerald is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Kansas' 2nd District. Fitzgerald is seeking the Republican nomination in the primary. The general election takes place November 4, 2014.
- See also: Kansas State Senate elections, 2012
Fitzgerald won election in the 2012 election for Kansas State Senate District 5. Fitzgerald defeated Mark S. Gilstrap in the August 7 Republican primary and defeated Kelly Kultala (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Kansas State Senate, District 5, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Kelly Kultala Incumbent||48.5%||12,040|
|Kansas State Senate, District 5 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Mark S. Gilstrap||38.5%||1,441|
Comprehensive donor information for Fitzgerald is available dating back to 2004. Based on available campaign finance records, Fitzgerald raised a total of $250,991 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 3, 2013.
|Steve Fitzgerald's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Kansas State Senate, District 5||$72,003|
|2008||Kansas State Senate, District 5||$127,792|
|2004||Kansas State Senate, District 5||$51,196|
|Grand Total Raised||$250,991|
2012Fitzgerald won election to the Kansas State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Fitzgerald raised a total of $72,003.
|Kansas State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Steve Fitzgerald's campaign in 2012|
|Kansas Republican Party||$10,145|
|Crossland Construction Co||$2,000|
|Lewis, John G||$2,000|
|Kansas Chamber of Commerce & Industry||$1,154|
|Total Raised in 2012||$72,003|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2008Fitzgerald lost the election for the Kansas State Senate in 2008. During that election cycle, Fitzgerald raised a total of $127,792.
|Kansas State Senate 2008 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Steve Fitzgerald's campaign in 2008|
|Fitzgerald, Steven G||$30,000|
|Kansas Republican Senatorial Cmte||$6,000|
|Total Raised in 2008||$127,792|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2004Fitzgerald lost the election for the Kansas State Senate in 2004. During that election cycle, Fitzgerald raised a total of $51,196.
|Kansas State Senate 2004 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Steve Fitzgerald's campaign in 2004|
|Kansas Republican Senatorial Cmte||$6,500|
|Leavenworth County Republican Womens Club||$500|
|Total Raised in 2004||$51,196|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Kansas Freedom Index
The Kansas Policy Institute, Kansas’s "first free market think tank," releases its legislator scorecard as a part of its Kansas Freedom Index for Kansas state representatives and senators once a year. The Score Card gives each legislator a score from 1%-100% based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on specific issues which the Kansas Policy Institute thought were pro-limited government policies.
Steve Fitzgerald received a score of 69.0%% in the 2013 index.
Fitzgerald and wife, Francie, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Steve + Fitzgerald + Kansas + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Kansas State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Joint Committees
- Kansas state legislative districts
- Kansas State Legislature
- Sen. Fitzgerald's website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Steve Fitzgerald on Facebook
- Steve Fitzgerald on Twitter
- Campaign Contributions: 2012, 2008, 2004
- ADN.com, "Kan. lawmaker to challenge Jenkins in primary," accessed January 25, 2014
- "vote4fitzgerald," Official Campaign Website
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 29, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 31, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Fitzgerald, Steve," accessed June 3, 2013
- Kansas Policy Institute, "Freedom Index," accessed March 31, 2014
- 2013 Kansas Policy Index
Kelly Kultala (D)
|Kansas State Senate District 5
| Succeeded by|