|Georgia State Senate District 51|
|January 11, 2011 - Present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||North Georgia College|
|Master's||North Georgia College and State University|
|Birthday||February 25, 1967|
|Profession||Vice President, Commercial Group, The Norton Agency|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Personal
- 7 Scorecards
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Gooch previously served as Lumpkin County Commissioner and is a member of the Georgia Department of Transportation Board.
Gooch earned his B.S. and M.A. in Public Administration from North Georgia College and State University. His professional experience includes working as a partner at The Commercial Group, a real estate brokerage and property management firm.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Gooch served on the following committees:
|Georgia Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Transportation, Chair|
|• Economic Development, Vice Chair|
|• Natural Resources and the Environment|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Gooch served on the following committees:
|Georgia Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Economic Development|
|• Government Oversight|
|• State Institutions and Property|
|• State and Local Governmental Operations|
On his campaign website, Gooch listed five issues he was concerned about. They were:
- Keeping Taxes Low
- Excerpt: "I believe that we must do all that we can to avoid increasing taxes on our citizens. I also believe that we should use these difficult times to “right size” state government by cutting unnecessary spending, creating more efficient processes, and implementing zero based budgeting to establish the right priorities for spending our tax dollars."
- Creating New Jobs
- Excerpt: "Small businesses create jobs! As your Senator, I will fight for common sense proposals that help create the right environment where small businesses can grow and create new jobs."
- Supporting Our Schools
- Excerpt: "The state government’s most important responsibility is educating our children. I believe in local control of our schools and in empowering, not dictating to, our local schools, administrators and educators."
- Protecting Our Traditional Values
- Excerpt: " You can count on me to always support pro-life, pro-marriage legislation. I believe we should have the Ten Commandments posted in our public buildings to remind elected officials of the foundation of our laws."
- Defending Our 2nd Amendment Rights
- Excerpt: "a citizen has the God-given right to protect their home and their family, and the right to keep and bear arms is essential to this."
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Georgia State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 20, 2014; a runoff election will take place where necessary on July 22, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Incumbent Stephen W. "Steve" Gooch was unopposed in the Republican primary and is unchallenged in the general election.
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2012
Gooch ran in the 2012 election for Georgia State Senate District 51. Gooch ran unopposed in the Republican primary on July 31, 2012. No Democratic candidate filed to run for this seat. The general election took place on November 6, 2012. Gooch ran unopposed in the general election.
|Georgia State Senate, District 51, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Steve Gooch Incumbent||100%||60,498|
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2010
| Georgia State Senate, District 51 |
2010 General election results
|Steve Gooch (R)||46,262||81.9%|
|Joseph Mann (D)||10,213||18.1%|
Gooch was unopposed in the July 20 primary.
|Georgia State Senate, District 51 - Republican Primary (2010)|
Comprehensive donor information for Gooch is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, Gooch raised a total of $238,845 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 22, 2013.
|Steve Gooch's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Georgia State Senate, District 51||$88,858|
|2010||Georgia State Senate, District 51||$88,845|
|2008||Georgia State House, District 9||$61,142|
|Grand Total Raised||$238,845|
2012Gooch won re-election to the Georgia State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Gooch raised a total of $88,858.
|Georgia State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Steve Gooch's campaign in 2012|
|Chance for Senate||$2,500|
|Georgia Highway Contractors Association||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$88,858|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Gooch won election to the Georgia State Senate in 2010. During that election cycle, Gooch raised a total of $88,845.
|Georgia State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Steve Gooch's campaign in 2010|
|Georgia Trial Lawyers Association||$2,400|
|Georgia Highway Contractors Association||$2,400|
|Cowsert for Senate||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$88,845|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2008Gooch lost the election for the Georgia House of Representatives in 2008. During that election cycle, Gooch raised a total of $61,142.
|Georgia House of Representatives 2008 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Steve Gooch's campaign in 2008|
|Total Raised in 2008||$61,142|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Gooch and his wife, Shannon, have three children.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Steve + Gooch + Georgia + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Steve Gooch campaign website
- Steve Gooch on the Georgia State Senate website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008
- Steve Gooch on Facebook
- Steve Gooch campaign website, "Issues"
- Newt Gingrich 2012, "Slate of Georgia Officials Back Newt Gingrich for President," December 13, 2011
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 10, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State, "GA - Election Results," accessed May 28, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State Elections Division, "Candidate List" accessed May 29, 2012
- Georgia Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- Georgia Elections Division, "2012 Election Results" accessed November 16, 2012
- Georgia Secretary of State - 2010 Election results
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official 2010 Primary election results," accessed March 24, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Gooch, Steve," accessed August 22, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 4, 2014
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
|Georgia Senate District 51
| Succeeded by|