Ballot measure advocacy
- Initiative 61 - the Returnable Beverage Container Act - Chairperson
- Initiative 394 - Don't Bankrupt Washington - Chairperson
- Initiative 97 - Citizens Toxic Cleanup Campaign - Campaign Director - signature drive
- Initiative 99 - Presidential Primary - Campaign Director
- Initiative 547 - Citizens for Balanced Growth - Campaign Director
Steve Zemke has also served in a consulting capacity, both paid and unpaid, in a number of other initiative efforts over the years including minimum wage, bottle bills, campaign finance reform, tax reform and in opposition to so called property rights measures and Tim Eyman's anti - tax measures.
He is currently the Director of Tax Sanity, an organization working for tax loophole reform and tax fairness both in Washington State and nationally. As of 2013, Tax Sanity is working on a proposed initiative to the Washington State Legislature for tax loophole reform, including adding tax expenditures to the State Budget process and adding sunset provisions to existing tax expenditures.
Zemke is a past Chair of the King County Democrats in Washington State and remains active in Democratic politics. He is also Chair of Save the Trees-Seattle which successfully promoted the creation of an Urban Forestry Commission in Seattle. As of 2013, the group is promoting a strengthened urban forestry and tree protection ordinance.
- Information added and updated by Steve Zemke March 23, 2013.