Steven A. Andersson
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 65|
|January 14, 2015 - Present|
|January 10, 2017|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Bachelor's||Northern Illinois University|
|J.D.||Northern Illinois University|
|Profession||Small business owner; Lawyer|
Andersson earned his bachelor's degree from Northern Illinois University in 1986 and his J.D. from Northern Illinois University in 1992. His professional experience includes owning his own businesses and being a partner in the law firms of Mickey, Wilson, Weiler, Renzi & Andersson, P.C. and the Elder law Center, P.C.
Andersson's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
- Excerpt: "The General Assembly voted to raise personal and corporate income tax rates in 2011. That hike will roll back in January 2015 unless lawmakers vote to keep it in place. I oppose attempts to allow this temporary tax hike to remain in place."
- Excerpt: "I strongly oppose a graduated income tax for Illinois As noted in a recent editorial in the Daily Herald, the progressive tax is not aimed at making the tax system more fair, but simply to raise more revenues rather than make required cuts."
- Excerpt: "I would propose that until the budget is balanced and there are available funds for programs, no new program should be instituted or created, or if such a program is created, a commensurate reduction of another program must be made."
Zero Based Budgeting
- Excerpt: "I would also propose that we engage in a zero base budgeting process. Each department and agency should be required to challenge assumptions and look for ways to consolidate programs and staff. We could commission an independent, forensic audit so we can correctly assess current spending and find ways to eliminate waste. We should also have a 5 year outlook to assess future spending."
- Excerpt: "I would propose that for all programs, except education and capital infrastructure improvements, that a 10% cut to the budget be made. As the Treasurer of the Geneva Library Board I advocated for and passed a significant reduction in the library budget last year. This forced the library and its departments to find areas to economize and find new efficiencies. This effort was successful without a reduction in staffing or the quality of service."
Elections for the office of Illinois House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on March 18, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 2, 2013. Steven A. Andersson defeated Debbie Miller and Daniel J. Ugaste in the Republican primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 65 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Steven A. Andersson||44.7%||4,891|
|Daniel J. Ugaste||31.8%||3,481|
- The Illinois Observer
- Daily Herald
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Steven + Andersson + Illinois + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Illinois State Legislature
- Illinois House of Representatives
- Illinois House Committees
- Illinois state legislative districts
- Profile from the Illinois House of Representatives
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Steven A. Andersson on Twitter
- Steven A. Andersson on Facebook
- Official campaign website, "About," accessed February 19, 2014
- Official campaign website, "Issues," accessed February 19, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Illinois Board of Elections, "General Primary Election Official Canvass," April 18, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- www.illinoisobserver.net, "Illinois House and Senate 2014 Primary Endorsements Part II,” accessed February 19, 2014
- Daily Herald, "Endorsement: Andersson in House District 65," accessed February 19, 2014
Tim Schmitz (R)
|Illinois House of Representatives District 65
2015 – Present
| Succeeded by|
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |