Steven H. Newton
|Former candidate for|
|Delaware House of Representatives, District 22|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||St. Andrews Presbyterian College, 1979|
|Master's||James Madison University, 1986|
|Ph.D.||The College of William and Mary, 1989|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Service branch||Virginia Army National Guard|
Following high school, Newton earned his B.A. in history from St. Andrews Presbyterian College in 1979. He went on to earn his M.A. in history from James Madison University in 1986 and his Ph.D. in history from The College of William and Mary in 1989.
Newton served in the United States Army from 1980 to 1984. He then served in the Virginia Army National Guard from 1984 to 2001 retiring as a Master Sergeant.
Professionally, he works as a professor of history and political science at Delaware State University. He has also served as a senior fellow for the American Institute for History Education and the associate editor for North & South magazine.
Newton submitted the following statement to Ballotpedia:
|“||I am a traditional libertarian, and if elected would (a) slash corporate welfare and subsidies; (b) fight to decriminalize and then legalize marijuana; (c) free midwives to practice again legally in this state; (d) pursue 'right to farm' legislation; (e) protect Second Amendment right; and (f) work to retain/recover local control of our schools.||”|
Elections for the office of Delaware House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on September 9, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was July 8, 2014. John Mackenzie was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Joseph E. Miro defeated Michael Smith in the Republican primary. Miro defeated Mackenzie and Steven H. Newton (L) in the general election.
|Delaware House of Representatives, District 22, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Joseph E. Miro Incumbent||63.3%||5,118|
|Libertarian||Steven H. Newton||2.3%||186|
|Delaware House of Representatives, District 22 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Joseph E. Miro Incumbent||56.9%||797|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Steven + Newton + Delaware + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Delaware House of Representatives
- Delaware House of Representatives District 22
- Delaware House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Delaware State Legislature
- Official campaign website
- Campaign Facebook page
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- State of Delaware - Official primary election candidate list
- State of Delaware - Official general election candidate list
- Information submitted through Ballotpedia's biographical submission form on September 7, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- State of Delaware, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed July 10, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 10, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official primary election results," accessed September 17, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official general election results," accessed November 13, 2014