Steven S. Choi
|Steven S. Choi|
|Mayor of Irvine|
|December 11, 2012 - Present|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||2 terms (4 years)|
|Irvine City Council|
|Irvine Unified School District|
|Bachelor's||Kyung Hee University|
|Master's||Louisiana State University|
|Ph.D.||University of Pittsburgh|
Choi earned his B.A. from Kyung Hee University in Seoul, South Korea, his M.A. in Library Science from Louisiana State University and his Ph.D. in Library and Information Science from the University of Pittsburgh. His professional experience includes working as a Peace Corps language instructor, college professor and operating Kumon Math and Reading Centers.
On his campaign website, Choi highlighted the projects and goals that he would pursue if re-elected. They included:
- "Developing the City's financial plan for constructing a major Irvine Metropolitan Library at the Orange County Great Park."
- "Jump starting the formation of the Irvine Library Foundation to raise funds for the Metropolitan Library for the remaining portion of the library capital fund."
- "Completing the design of the Metropolitan Library in two years and making it shovel-ready for construction in five years."
- "Launching a campaign for the City of Irvine as a new tech center for Southern California. Make Irvine 'TechVine.'"
- "Leading the City to provide our citizens with the most advanced services possible, utilizing the most advanced technology, for which a special City Tech Team has already been formed. The new app, "MyIrvine," is coming soon!"
- "Providing WiFi to all community centers and shopping centers in Irvine."
- "Ensuring Irvine has 100% cell phone signal coverage, regardless of service provider."
- "Making Irvine the destination city for businesses, professionals, tech companies, educationally-minded parents nationally and internationally."
- "Making Irvine more diverse, harmonious, and peaceful with an even higher quality of life."
The city of Irvine, California will hold elections for mayor on November 4, 2014. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was August 8, 2014. If an eligible incumbent did not file by August 8, 2014, the filing period was extended to 5:00 p.m. August 13, 2014. Incumbent Steven S. Choi will face Katherine Daigle and Mary Ann Gaido.
Choi and his wife, Janie, have two children: Daniel and Michelle.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Steven + Choi + Irvine.
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- City of Irvine, "Biography," accessed April 24, 2014
- Steven Choi, "Home," accessed on October 2, 2014
- City of Irvine, "General Municipal Election Information," accessed June 17, 2014
- City of Irvine, "Official Candidate List," accessed on August 26, 2014
- Secretary of State, 2010 General Election Results
- Secretary of State, 2010 Primary Election Results
|Mayor of Irvine
| Succeeded by|