Stuart C. Reid
|Stuart C. Reid|
|Utah State Senate District 18|
|2011 - Present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Per diem||$96/day (lodging) |
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||Brigham Young University|
|Master's||Brigham Young University|
Reid received his B.S. and M.Ed. from Brigham Young University.
Reid has served as director of the Ogden City and Salt Lake City Community and Economic Development Departments. He also served in the U.S. Army and as a member and chairman of the Salt Lake City Council.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Reid served on the following committees:
|Utah Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Economic Development and Workforce Services|
|• Education, Chair|
|• Native American Legislative Liaison|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Reid served on the following committees:
|Utah Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Health and Human Services|
|• Retirement and Independent Entities|
|• Workforce Services and Community and Economic Development, Chair|
Raising smoking age
Reid drafted a bill that would raise the legal smoking age in Utah from 19 to 21. He noted that research, including research from other governments that are considering this change, suggests that raising the age would reduce overall levels of addition to smoking. "If people have not smoked by age 21, studies show it is extremely unlikely that they will ever begin smoking," Reid said. As he drafted the bills, Reid sought out the input of state health officials and found support for the concept among officials at the Utah Department of Health.
- See also: Utah State Senate elections, 2010
|Utah State Senate, District 18, General Election 2010|
|Stuart C. Reid (R)||7,849|
|Betty Sawyer (D)||5,191|
Comprehensive donor information for Reid is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Reid raised a total of $75,976 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 11, 2013.
|Stuart C. Reid's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Utah State Senate, District 18||$10,400|
|2010||Utah State Senate, District 18||$65,576|
|Grand Total Raised||$75,976|
2012Reid was not up for election to the Utah State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Reid raised a total of $10,400.
|Utah State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Stuart C. Reid's campaign in 2012|
|Senate Republican Campaign Cmte Of Utah||$4,500|
|Utah Association of Realtors||$2,000|
|Reagan Outdoor Advertising||$750|
|IM Flash Technologies||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$10,400|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Reid won election to the Utah State Senate in 2010. During that election cycle, Reid raised a total of $65,576.
|Utah State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Stuart C. Reid's campaign in 2010|
|Utah Republican Party||$13,453|
|Senate Republican Campaign Cmte Of Utah||$5,000|
|Ogden Riverfront Development Co||$5,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$65,576|
|Source:Follow the Money|
The Sutherland Institute Scorecard
The Sutherland Institute, "a conservative public policy think tank" in Utah, releases its Scorecard for Utah State Representatives and Senators once a year. The Score Card gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on specific issues which the Sutherland Institute thought were pro-conservative policies.
Stuart C. Reid received a score of 100% in the 2012 score card.
Reid and his wife Laura have been married for over 31 years. They have four children and six grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Stuart + Reid + Utah + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Dems Favor Air Quality Fixes, But Reid Says Inversion Reports Are ?Fear ... - Utah Political Capitol
- Utah Lawmakers endorse plan to hike smoking age to 21 - Salt Lake Tribune
- Hatch was wrong to support ENDA - Deseret News
- Report gives close-up look at cycle of intergenerational proverty - StandardNet
- Reid to Retire from Legislature in 2014 - Utah Policy
- Utah lawmakers consider Reid's proposal to raise smoking age - El Est
- State lawmaker wants to raise the age to buy smokes in Utah - Daily Herald
- What You Need to Know About Utah Politics Today - November 18, 2013 - Utah Policy
- Lawmakers Ready Bills Targeting Elections and Ethics in 2014 - Utah Policy
- Utah lawmakers propose raising legal smoking age to 21 - Deseret News
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Stuart Reid's official campaign website (Archived)
- Stuart Reid on the Utah State Senate website
- Biography of Stuart Reid on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2012, 2010
- ↑ The Salt Lake Tribune, "Lawmakers seek to raise Utah smoking age to 21," October 3, 2013
- ↑ Official Utah State Senate General Election Results, 2010
- ↑ Follow the Money, "Reid, Stuart," accessed June 11, 2013
- ↑ The Sutherland Institute, "2012 Legislative Session"
- ↑ 2012 Sutherland Institute Legislative Socrecard