Sunshine Guardians are citizens who have been mocked, insulted, ignored, or otherwise mistreated by public officials because they chose to exercise their right to file requests for public records.
Do you know of someone that deserves an STOTW award? Let us know who and why here with a link to an article or blog post about their open records efforts.
- Tina Renna, who was kicked out of a public meeting for asking questions about elected officials with family members on the public payroll. (8/24/09)
- Donna Zink of Mesa, Washington who is being blamed for driving the town into financial troubles. 4/30/09
- John Blanchette
- Nomination for Bob Smith. “You deal with these kind of people all the time,” says Lieberth [the Mayor's Chief of Staff, regarding a FOIA request from Smith]. “How can I explain somebody with a personality and temperament that is so outrageous that you start to look for a rational explanation for their behavior and can’t find one?" 4/23/09
Nomination for Blogger Michael Butler.STOTW #46
- Nomination for Curtis Adams who is suing for itemized attorney billings. 4/7/09
- Nomination for Daniel Ochoa. 4/6/09
Nomination for Mark Stern, who is going to the Illinois Supreme Court to fight for a FOIA request.STOTW #45
- Nomination for JoEllen Ridder, who is facing a lawsuit from Bensenville, Illinois accusing her of "intentionally harassing its staff with a barrage of cumbersome requests for information." 3/19/09
- Nomination for Tracie Washington, the "activist" lawyer from New Orleans. 3/12/09
Nomination for Kay Mullins, who is on "a political witch hunt. This woman is a political operative for my opponent."STOTW #44
- Nomination for Carl Malamud. 3/5/09
- Nomination for Michael Brodinsky. 3/3/09
Nomination for Linda and Kurt Kurzmiller, 2/7/09.STOTW #41 and #42.
Nomination for Grace Caporuscio and John Schmitz of Chippewa Valley Schools, Michigan.STOTW #40
- Nomination for James Graham, who is claiming that the manner in which his FOIA requests are being addressed is "the most shocking thing I've ever seen by a Portage City Council." 1/28/09
- Nomination for Elicia Sanders (dead link) of Eustace, Texas for her watchdog website stating "nothing but negativity on this great community.” 1/9/09
- Nomination for Nina Beasley (dead link), 12/29/08
- Nomination for Paul Kubosh who is "obviously doing some self-promoting. We can only assume this is a P.R. exercise by someone who makes a living defending in traffic court."
Nomination for Marsha Farmer who uncovered millions of dollars worth of overcharges from Houston city contractors.12/25/08 RIP
- Nomination for Carl Malamud, who wants to put all court records online. 12/17/08
Nomination for Mike Gantt who used public records to unearth years of corruption in Gaston, South Carolina.STOTW #38 12/14/08
- Nomination for Judge Joseph K. Sheeran.
Nomination for Susan Siegel who says of herself: "Yes, I'm a thorn, but all I'm doing is exercising my rights." 12/1/08Chosen!
- Nomination for Councilman Tony Phillips (dead link) who went "off on his own, ignoring the advice of the city solicitor." 11/2/08
Nomination for Joel Chandler, "He's received dozens of threatening e-mails telling him to "watch out" and to "beware" because he is under investigation." 11/1/08Chosen!
- Nomination for Vito Bochicchio, 10/31/08
Nomination for James Vittorioso, who claims "Freedom of speech has been abridged and I've been gagged." 10/20/08
- Nomination for Vicki Simons, 10/20/08
Nomination for Curtis Hier on 10/15/08.Chosen!
- Nomination for all the attendees of this school board meeting. 10/10/08
- Nomination for Riccardo A. Mora 10/7/08 He has been accused of "mis-using FOIA as a vehicle to address personal issues rather than public interest."
- Nomination for Brian Bardwell 10/2/08 "A man specializing in public records law is taking the county by storm and suing local agencies at will."
Nomination for Bill Hugenberg 10/1/08 "Love him or hate him, Hugenberg says he is here to stay."Chosen!
- Nomination for Wayne Tate, Kim Lefner and Jim Reardon, 9/22/08
Nomination for Bill Philips, 9/10/08Chosen!
Nomination for Dan Kramer, 9/9/08Chosen!
Nomination for Mr. Kogutkiewicz, whose "behavior is appalling." 9/2/08 Chosen! 9/5/08
- Nomination for Diane Oberquell, who is called "spiteful" and "vindictive." 9/01/08
- Nomination for Robert Pickell and Township trustee Hicks 8/25/08
- Nomination for Angelo Panos 8/25/08
- Nomination for Tom Miller
- Nomination for Mickey Gendler. 8/18/08
- Nomination for Martin O’Shea (dead link). 8/15/08
- Nomination for Paul Curry of Myrtle Beach, SC who won a definitive ruling as a Pro Se FOI advocate
Past Winners of the Award
You can see a list of all the recipients of the STOTW at WikiFOIA.
Some of the more recent winners are also listed here on Sunshine Review: