|Vermont Commissioner of Insurance|
|January 2013 - Present|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Gov. Peter Shumlin|
|Deputy Commissioner of Insurance|
|Director of Securities Regulation, Vermont Department of Financial Regulation|
|Bachelor's||Wagner College (1976)|
|Master's||Boston University School of Law (1990)|
|J.D.||Vermont Law School (1986)|
|Other||Universiteit van Amsterdam (2000)|
Donegan is an attorney, specializing in financial services regulation. Her legal background includes several years working in private practice and at law firms in Boston, Massachusetts, and in the Netherlands. She has a Juris Doctor from Vermont Law School, an LL.M. master’s degree in Banking and Financial Services Law from Boston University School of Law and an LL.M. degree in European Union and International Trade Law from Amsterdam Law School at Universiteit van Amsterdam.
During her first stint working for the Vermont Department of Financial Regulation, Donegan was named the department's first director of securities regulation. Later in her career, she spent three years as commissioner and hearing officer at the Massachusetts Division of Insurance. After sixteen years away from the Vermont state government, she returned in 2011 to serve as deputy commissioner of the Insurance Division under then-commissioner, Donegan's predecessor, Steve Kimbell.
- J.D. - Vermont Law School
- LL.M. Master’s degree in Banking and Financial Services Law - Boston University School of Law
- LL.M. degree in European Union and International Trade Law - Amsterdam Law School at Universiteit van Amsterdam.
Commissioner of Financial Regulation (2013-present)
Donegan was sworn in as commissioner in January 2013. Prior to her appointment, Donegan served two years as the deputy commissioner under Steve Kimbell, who retired to his sheep farm after two years heading the Department of Financial Regulation for Governor Shumlin. As commissioner, Donegan is the head of the Department of Financial Regulation, which "supervises traditional and captive insurance companies and their representatives, state-chartered banks and credit unions, licensed and brokers and all other non-depository financial institutions, as well as securities broker dealers and investment advisors."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Susan + Donegan + Vermont + Insurance"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- House reviews proposal to let insurance firms email notifications - vtdigger.org
- Vt. Health Reform Hit Plenty of Bumps - Valley News
- NAIC report: fall 2013 national meeting - Lexology (registration)
- Insurance Commissioner
- Vermont Commissioner of Insurance
- Steve Kimbell
- Governor of Vermont
- Peter Shumlin
- Vermont Department of Banking, Insurance, Securities and Healthcare Administration
- Vermont Division of Insurance
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- LinkedIn profile
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners
|Vermont Commissioner of Insurance
| Succeeded by|