Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former candidate for|
|Illinois House of Representatives District 55|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|High school||Maine South High School|
|Bachelor's||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Place of birth||Chicago, Illinois|
A resident of Park Ridge, Sweeney is a certified substitute teacher, and a former client manager for IBM. She received her B.S. in Health Education from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Sweeney's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "...we need other state policies to become more business-friendly. For example, Illinois businesses pay 150% of the national average in workers' compensation costs. That is why Susan support real reform in these areas."
- Tax Increase
- Excerpt: " Susan has pledged to file a bill on day one to repeal Pat Quinn and Michael Madigan's crushing 67% income tax increase. Susan understands that we need to get Illinois back on track. Since its passage, the tax increase has cost Illinois thousands of jobs."
- Excerpt: "First, we need to start transitioning towards a defined-contribution system so that state employees have control over their own money. Second, we need to institute a pension cap so that no state employee makes more in a year of retirement than they made in their final year of employment."
- Excerpt: "Susan believes that education in Illinois needs to be more child-centric, results-driven, and parent-responsive. We must increase our utilization of metrics that show which programs increase student performance and which do not."
Sweeney ran for election in the 2012 election for Illinois House of Representatives District 55. A write-in candidate at first, Sweeney defeated Rosemary Mulligan -- who was set back by a controversy regarding ballot signatures -- in the March 20 Republican primary and was defeated by Marty Moylan (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 55, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Martin J. Moylan||53.3%||21,321|
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 55 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Rosemary Mulligan Incumbent||2%||46|
In 2012, Sweeney's endorsements included the following:
- The Chicago Tribune
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce
- Stand For Children Illinois
- Illinois Bankers Association
Sweeney is a single mother of three children. She is an advocate for special needs children, and is active in numerous church charity concerns.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Susan + Sweeney + Illinois + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign website
- Campaign Facebook page
- Campaign YouTube
- Campaign Twitter account
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Friends of Susan Sweeney, "About," accessed May 24, 2012
- Susan Sweeney, "Issues," accessed October 25, 2012
- WUIS-FM, "Susan Sweeny (sic) is Unofficial Republican Nominee for New 55th District," March 30, 2012. Retrieved May 24, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate Detail," accessed May 25, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed January 18, 2013
- Susan Sweeney, "Endorsements," accessed October 25, 2012
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |