|Illinois State Senate District 31|
|2011 - 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Commissioner, Lake County Forest Preserve|
|1998 – 2010|
|Bachelor's||Southern Illinois University – Carbondale|
Schmidt served on the Lake County board from 1988 to 2011 and as chairman from 2000 to 2011. Before joining the Lake County government, she was a Lake Villa Township Trustee from 1985 to 1988. She is also President of the Metro Counties and a member of the Lake County Municipal League. She received her bachelor's degree from Southern Illinois University.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Schmidt served on these committees:
- Appropriations II Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Commerce Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Committee of the Whole, Illinois Senate
- Education Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Financial Institutions Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Local Government Committee, Illinois State Senate, Vice Chair
- Subcommittee on Annexation
- Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2010
|Illinois State Senate, District 31 (2010)|
|Suzi Schmidt (R)||34,308||53.47%|
|Michael Bond (D)||29,850||46.53%|
In 2010, Schmidt raised $592,413 in contributions.
Her three largest contributors were:
|Illinois Republican Party||$200,093|
|Republican State Senate Campaign Cmte Of Illinois||$184,555|
Illinois Opportunity Project
The Illinois Opportunity Project, "an independent research and public policy enterprise that promotes legislative solutions in advance of free markets and free minds," annually releases its Legislative Vote Card, grading all members in both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly on the basis of their support of "pro-growth economic policies that increase personal freedom and reign in expansive government."
Schmidt received a score of 87.50 out of 100 in 2012 for a grade of A- according to the IOP’s grading scale. Her score was tied for the 13th highest among all 59 members of the Illinois State Senate included in the Vote Card.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Suzi + Schmidt + Illinois + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Schmidt has served in the Lake County Board since 1988 and has been Chairwoman for most of that time. Other experience:
- Commissioner, Lake County Forest Preserve, 1988-2013
- Member, Lake County Board, 1988-2013
- Chairwoman, Lake County Board 2000-2013
- Trustee, Lake Villa Township, 1985-1988.
Schmidt faces pressure to resign over an alleged abuse of power. She and her husband have had a somewhat abusive marriage in which her husband has made several 911 calls for various incidents. Last Christmas her husband called saying that she had locked him out of the house. She also made a 911 call that day, stating that she was a senator and telling the dispatcher to ignore her husband's request for help. The most recent 911 call occurred on September 26, 2011, when her husband called saying that she had scratched and bitten him. Senate Minority Leader Christine Radogno has said that it may be time for her to resign and that public officials should be held to higher standards of behavior.
Schmidt has a husband, Bob.
- Social media:
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- Campaign contributions at Follow The Money
- 2010 Illinois General Election Results
- followthemoney.org, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Illinois Opportunity Project, "The Project," accessed February 21, 2013
- Illinois Opportunity Project, Legislative Vote Card home page, accessed February 21, 2013
- WGNtv.com "State senator under pressure to resign over stormy marriage," September 30, 2011
Michael Bond (D)
|Illinois Senate District 31
| Succeeded by|
Melinda Bush (D)