Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, New York, District 9|
Kinard ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent New York's 9th District. She sought the nomination on the Democratic ticket and was defeated 11th District incumbent Yvette Clarke in the June 26 Democratic primary.
Kinard, who is also a minister, formerly worked as Senior Legislative Attorney for the New York City Council. She was focused on addressing local concerns of unemployment and education. Kinard wanted to ensure government jobs weren't outsourced, and supported small businesses. She also said she would fight to bring more education arts funding to New York.
President Barack Obama backed Clarke. He said that Clarke has worked "to give a voice to the voiceless, whether it was improving educational opportunity for children, expanding access to healthcare for women in need, or helping small businesses expand and add new jobs."
|U.S. House, New York District 9 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Yvette Clarke Incumbent||88.3%||11,903|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Sylvia + Kinard + New York + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- New York Board of Elections, "Filings for June 26, 2012 Federal Primary," accessed June 11, 2012
- Associated Press, "2012 primary results," accessed February 9, 2015
- Ditmas Park Patch, "Ditmas Park election guide," June 15, 2012
- Prospect Heights Patch, "Congresswoman Clarke's Challenger Runs on Platform of Visibility, Inclusiveness," June 15, 2012 (dead link)
- Capital New York, "Obama endorses Nydia Velazquez," June 15, 2012
- New York Daily News blog, "Nothing Like A Little Support From The Prez To Get People Talking," June 14, 2012
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
State of New York Court of Appeals | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Supreme Courts (Trial Courts) | County Courts | Family Courts | Surrogates' Courts | Court of Claims | District Courts | New York City Civil Court | New York City Criminal Courts | New York City Courts | Problem Solving Courts | Town and Village Courts | Judicial selection in New York |