Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 45|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
Lewis earned a B.A. in Political Science. His professional experience includes working as a fire fighter paramedic for ten years, with real estate finance title and trust for 15 years and as a district director/legislative assistant for the Illinois House for 5 years.
In an article with the Daily Herald, Lewis said that he is running for office "because of the fiscal crisis."
Lewis' campaign website highlights the following issues:
- Excerpt: "First off I don’t want to diminish retiree’s pension benefits or just do away with pensions all together. There are examples throughout the state of IL where local government pensions are working. Basically this is a question of satisfying 218 Social Security Exemption Law. We need to allow the State, the Counties, Local Governments and the employees, the ability to determine how to budget retirement benefits, whether it be with a pension, annuities, or a 401k style (457b) retirement plan. As we progress forward with statewide retirement systems no doubt they need to be fully funded but it appears these systems are unsustainable. We should be looking at the possibility of enacting 401k type savings (457b plan) for people who have not yet entered into the public workforce and even extending this to people who are not vested in the state retirement systems. This will empower the employee to set his/her retirement strategies."
- Excerpt: "No I would not vote to make temporary income tax hike permanent. I would be willing to have it phase out over a period of time, which would assist in stabilizing the accumulating interest from our unpaid bills and the current pension obligations. Before we even start phasing out the temporary tax hike, we need to reduce our spending continue to consolidate duplicated services, sell off or rent-out unused assets and continue with pension reform. The problem in Illinois is not a revenue problem it is a spending problem."
Elections for the office of Illinois House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place March 18, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 2, 2013. Jenny M. Burke ran unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Christine Jennifer Winger defeated Seth Lewis, Daniel Brinkman and T.J. Lewis in the Republican primary. Burke and Winger will face off in the general election.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "T.J. + Lewis + Illinois + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website, "About," accessed February 18, 2014
- dailyherald.com "45th House candidates want to improve business climate," accessed February 18, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Chicago Tribune, "Unofficial primary election results," accessed March 18, 2014
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |