Tahoe Truckee Unified School District parcel tax, Measure A (March 2011)
Measure A adds a $37 increase to the TTUSD's pre-existing parcel tax of $98, for a total annual parcel tax of $135. It also authorizes the continuation of the pre-existing parcel tax. The $135 parcel tax will be in effect for 7 years.
TTUSD voters first approved a parcel tax in 1989, identified as Measure S. Voters renewed Measure S in 1993, 1997, 2001 and 2005. In 2005, the tax was re-named as Measure A.
Measure A will raise about $3.2 million annually.
Sample ballots were mailed starting on January 27. Vote-by-mail ballots were mailed starting on February 7. The last day to register to vote in this election was February 22.
|County||Yes||Yes %||No||No %||Citation|
Patricia Gibbons-Johnson, a former TTUSD trustee, was in favor of Measure A. She said, "The increase from $98 a year to $135 a year was designed to retain the programs which have been shown to add great value to the opportunities for our local students. Measure A needed to be set at an amount which would allow seven years of funding. Therefore, it needs to account for increases in costs until it expires in 2019. This is $11.25 per month — a small price to pay."
About Tahoe Truckee
The Tahoe Truckee School District serves 4,000 students in 11 schools in a geographic area of 720 square miles.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|MEASURE A: To reduce the impact of budget cuts and ensure all students receive a high quality education by preventing reductions in science, music, art, technology, physical education, college preparation, honors/advanced placement classes and vocational education, retaining librarians, counselors and nurses, and maintaining funding for school equipment and supplies, shall Tahoe Truckee Unified School District renew its expiring parcel tax for 7 years, at 135 dollars per year, with senior exemptions, citizens oversight, and annual audits?|
- Resolution authorizing Measure A
- Measure A website
- Save Our Schools, Yes on Measure A
- Text of Measure A
- Sierra Sun, "It's official: Measure A going to special election in March to Tahoe Truckee voters," October 21, 2010
- Sierra Sun, "Tahoe/Truckee schools' Measure A parcel tax adopted by just 1 percentage point," March 8, 2011
- Frequently Asked Questions About Measure A
- Measure A; important dates
- March 8, 2011 election results in El Dorado County (final)
- March 8, 2011 election results in Nevada County (final)
- March 8, 2011 election results in Placer County (final)
- Sierra Sun, "My Turn: Vote ‘yes' on Measure A," February 21, 2011
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.