|Former candidate for|
|North Carolina House of Representatives, District 23|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||North Carolina Central University|
Knight is currently serving his second term as both Ward 7 Councilman and Mayor Pro-Tem in Tarboro, where he was also acting mayor for the last 5 months of 2013.
Knight earned his bachelor's degree from North Carolina Central University and attended University of Tennessee, East Carolina University and Chowan University. His professional experience includes working as the Director of Community Relations/Middle School and Operations at North East Carolina Prep School.
Knight's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
- Excerpt: "I believe that North Carolina must have an outstanding public education system that includes exceptional traditional and public charter schools, outstanding community colleges, and strong, affordable and competent public universities, in order to produce the skilled and educated workforce needed in the 21st century. To accomplish this we must reward teachers with higher salaries, tenure, and performance increases that are not solely tied to standardized tests but rather to the overall academic progress of their students."
- Excerpt: "I believe that excellence in public education is essential if we are to have a strong economic development effort in District 23. We must develop assistance for workers; have a balanced approach to offering incentives to grow local industry and to attract new ones. These incentives should always be tied to new job creation for the citizens of District 23. I also believe that government must provide a safety net covering the basic human needs of all those in need. I believe that ALL people should have the opportunity to develop their talents and abilities. Therefore, I would support any legislation that enhances the ability of formerly incarcerated persons or anyone on public assistance to gain employment or acquire the necessary skills to enter into the workforce. Our citizens with convictions or those that are unemployed or underemployed should have the same access to opportunity as every other North Carolinian."
Health and Wellness
- Excerpt: "I believe that education and economic development are also universally tied to access to quality health care regardless of a person’s income or location. I will support efforts to expand Medicaid and ensure that seniors with Medicare never have to worry about their coverage being privatized. I also believe in a mental health system that provides a comprehensive array of services with access to treatment for mental, behavioral, developmental disabilities, and substance abuse. Insurance must cover all physical and mental health disorders."
Elections for the office of North Carolina House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on May 6, 2014. The general election took place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 28, 2014. Shelly Willingham and Rusty Holderness defeated Taro Knight and Bronson Williams in the Democratic primary. Willingham defeated Holderness in the July 15 run-off primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
|North Carolina House of Representatives, District 23, Run-off Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Shelly Willingham (advanced to general election)||52.2%||2,702|
Knight and his wife, Kimberly, have three children (Zaneta, D’Andre, Jordan) and two grandchildren. He is also a member of the Carolinas Gateway Partnerships’ Board of Directors, the economic development agency for Edgecombe and Nash counties.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Taro + Knight + North + Carolina + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- North Carolina House of Representatives
- North Carolina State Legislature
- North Carolina House of Representatives elections, 2014
- North Carolina House of Representatives District 23
- Official campaign website
- Taro Knight on Facebook
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, Official primary candidate list
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, Official general election candidate list
- Official campaign website, "About," accessed April 18, 2014
- Official campaign website, "Platform," accessed April 18, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "07/15/2014 Unofficial Second Primary Election Results - Statewide," accessed July 16, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Primary Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed March 7, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "General Election Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed August 12, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "05/06/2014 Official Primary Election Results - Statewide," accessed December 5, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "11/04/2014 Official General Election Results - Statewide," accessed December 5, 2014
State of North Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utilities |