Tazewell County Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- The Tazewell County Public Schools 2009-2010 budget, including federal, state, and local revenue information, is available. 2010-2011 budget updates are also available.
- School board meeting schedule, minutes and agendas for upcoming meetings are available.
- Administrative contact information is posted for select departments.
- School board contact information is available.
- Academic performance information is available via links to the Virginia Department of Education Report Cards.
- Section K: School-Community Relations of the Tazewell County School Board Policy Manual includes Request for Information procedures in compliance with Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act. Section D: Fiscal Management includes information regarding audit requirements and Section G: Personnel includes hiring and evaluation procedures.
- Salary schedules and benefits information is available.
- The Superintendent’s contract is posted.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- Complete administrative contact information is not provided.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- Current teacher and vendor contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
Current School Board Members
|Mike Dennis, Chairman||Northwestern District|
|Randy Conn, Vice-Chairman||Southern District|
|Steve Davis||Western District|
|Estelle Johnson||Eastern District|
|David Woodard||Northern District|
The current division superintendent is Brenda B. Lawson Ed.D.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The Tazewell County Public Schools 2009-2010 general fund budget totaled $62,643,248.59, a 0.6% increase from the previous year’s budget. 70% of the budget was dedicated to Instruction costs. The budget included $5,944,052.59 in federal revenue, $12,182,812.00 in local funds, $42,888,888.00 in state revenue and sales tax funds, and $927,496.00 in other revenue. 2010-2011 projected revenue includes $38,560,133 in state funds, $5,741,873 in federal funds, $5,741,873 in local funds, and $492,000 in other funds. Total revenue shortfall is $5,585,629.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Tazewell County Public Schools as having a student population of 6,790 and 15 schools in the division.
Tazewell County Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Abbs Valley-Boissevain Elementary||Pre-K – 5||171||Yes|
|Cedar Bluff Elementary||K – 5||516||Yes|
|Dudley Primary||Pre-K - 2||313||Yes|
|Graham High||9 – 12, PG||553||Yes|
|Graham Intermediate||3 - 5||318||Yes|
|Graham Middle||6 - 8||434||No|
|North Tazewell Elementary||Pre-K - 5||318||No|
|Raven Elementary||Pre-K - 5||212||Yes|
|Richlands Elementary||Pre-K – 5||567||No|
|Richlands High||9 – 12||796||Yes|
|Richlands Middle||6 - 8||599||No|
|Springville Elementary||Pre-K - 5||170||Yes|
|Tazewell Elementary||Pre-K – 5||597||Yes|
|Tazewell High||9 – 12, PG||727||No|
|Tazewell Middle||6 - 8||499||No|
- Tazewell County Public Schools Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 ‘Tazewell County Public Schools’, 2009-2010 Budget, July 28, 2010
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 ‘Tazewell County Public Schools’, 2010-2011 Budget Update, July 28, 2010
- ↑ ‘Tazewell County Public Schools’, School Board Minutes, July 28, 2010
- ↑ ‘Tazewell County Public Schools’, School Board Agenda, July 28, 2010
- ↑ ‘Tazewell County Public Schools’, Educational Directory, July 28, 2010
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 ‘Tazewell County Public Schools’, School Board, July 28, 2010
- ↑ ‘Tazewell County Public Schools’, TCPS Information, July 28, 2010
- ↑ ‘Tazewell County Schools’, Policy Manual, July 28, 2010
- ↑ ‘Tazewell County Public Schools’, Human Resources, July 28, 2010
- ↑ ‘Tazewell County Public Schools’, School Board Information, July 28, 2010
- ↑ 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- ↑ 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- ↑ 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- ↑ 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- ↑ 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ↑ ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Tazewell County Public Schools, July 28, 2010
- ↑ 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- ↑ 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010