Template:AL HD31 2014s
Mike Holmes, Jimmy Collier, Michael Griggs and Frank Bertarelli faced off in the Republican primary. As no candidate received more than fifty percent of the vote, the top-two vote-getters - Holmes and Collier - met in the Republican primary runoff on February 4, which Holmes won.
A special election for the position of Alabama House of Representatives District 31 was initially called for January 28, with a primary on December 3, 2013. Because no Democratic candidate filed to run, the Republican primary runoff became the special election. Candidates from both major parties had until October 10, 2013, to file certified nomination papers with the Secretary of State. Due to inclement weather, the election was pushed back a week to February 4.
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 31 Runoff Republican Primary, 2014|
- seattlepi.com, "4 running as Republicans for Alabama House seat," October 11, 2013
- al.com, "Mike Holmes, Jimmy Collier qualify for Republican runoff in Alabama House District 31," December 3, 2013
- al.com, "Mike Holmes defeats Jimmy Collier in special election in Alabama House District 31," February 4, 2014
- Official special election results submitted to Ballotpedia by Brandon Walters from the Alabama Secretary of State's Office on May 7, 2014
- therepublic.com, "Special election timeline announced for vacant Ala. House District 31 seat," October 1, 2013
- al.com, "Citing inclement weather forecast, governor delays special election set for Mobile House seat," January 27, 2014