Template:Arkansas budget process
- Budget instructions are sent to state agencies in May of the year preceding the start of the new biennium.
- State agencies submit their budget requests to the governor in July.
- Agency hearings are held from August through October.
- Public hearings are held from October through December.
- The governor submits his or her proposed budget to the state legislature in November.
- The state legislature debates the budget from January through April. The budget must be passed by a three-fourths majority.
- The fiscal year begins July 1.
The governor may exercise line item veto, item veto of appropriations, and item veto of selected words.The Governor is required by statute to submit a balanced budget. The legislature is not legally required to pass a balanced budget, but the Governor is required by statute to sign a balanced budget.