Template:Oregon budget process
- Budget instruction guidelines are sent to state agencies from February through May in the year preceding the start of the new biennium.
- State agencies submit their budget requests to the governor in September.
- Agency hearings are held from September through November.
- The governor submits his or her proposed budget to the state legislature in December.
- From January through June, the legislature debates and then adopts a budget. A simple majority is required to pass a budget. The biennium begins July 1.
In Oregon, the governor may exercise line item veto and item veto of appropriations authority.The governor is legally required to submit a balanced budget proposal. Likewise, the legislature is legally required to pass a balanced budget.