Tennessee Regulatory Authority
|Tennessee Regulatory Authority|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2011-2012 FY Budget:||$6,927,900|
|Length of term:||6 years|
|Authority:||Tennessee Code, Title 65, Chapter 1, Part 1|
|Other Tennessee Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Comptroller • Treasurer • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
Title 65, Chapter 1, Part 1:
|There is created the Tennessee regulatory authority consisting of four (4) directors. The directors shall be appointed as follows: one (1) shall be appointed by the governor, one (1) shall be appointed by the speaker of the senate, one (1) shall be appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives, and one (1) director shall be appointed by joint agreement among the governor, the speaker of the senate and the speaker of the house of representatives. In making the appointments pursuant to this subsection (a), the governor, the speaker of the senate and the speaker of the house of representatives shall strive to ensure that the Tennessee regulatory authority is composed of directors who are diverse in professional or educational background, ethnicity, geographic residency, heritage, perspective and experience.|
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the Tennessee Regulatory Authority has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
Previously, the four directors were each appointed from a different source: one by the governor, one by the president of the state senate, one by the speaker of the state house, and one by joint appointment. The directors were appointed to staggered, six-year terms. All appointments were confirmed by joint resolution by both the state senate and state house, except the director who is appointed by joint appointment of the three appointing authorities.
During the 2012 legislative session and signed into law by Gov. Bill Haslam, HB 2385/SB 2247 changed the membership of the agency from four full-time directors to five part-time directors and established the executive director position.
Title 65, Chapter 1, Part 1 of the Tennessee Code requires that "any vacancy on the authority shall be filled by the original appointing authority for such position to serve the unexpired term and such appointments shall be confirmed in the same manner as the original appointment. However, if the general assembly is not in session and a vacancy occurs, the appropriate appointing authority shall fill such vacancy by appointment and the appointee to such vacancy shall serve the unexpired term unless such appointment is not confirmed within thirty (30) days after the general assembly convenes following the appointment to fill such vacancy."
The Tennessee Regulatory Authority is responsible for setting the rates and service standards of privately owned telephone, natural gas, electric and water utilities. It also provides assistance and consumer protection programs.
- Consumer Services: This division ensures consumers receive an adequate level of service from regulated companies and educates consumers regarding changes and new programs in the regulated utility sector.
- Economic Analysis and Policy: This division provides research, analysis and advice to the Directors and staff of the TRA regarding matters of economics and public policy.
- Gas Pipeline Safety: This division contributes to the safety and reliability of natural gas distribution and transmission pipeline facilities to minimize the risk to public health and safety associated with the accidental release of natural gas.
- Utilities: This division provides the agenc with detailed analyses, recommendations and technical assistance needed to make informed decisions on issues related to the development of competitive markets and the preservation of affordable prices for utility services in Tennessee.
The budget for the in Fiscal Year 2011-2012 was $6,927,900.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Tennessee Regulatory Authority has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Tennessee + Regulatory + Authority
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Shale gas 2013: The year in review - Pennsylvania Business Central
- NRC Schedules Meeting To Discuss Results Of License Renewal Inspection At ... - The Chattanoogan
- Obama tells feds to boost renewable power 20 percent; TVA confident it will ... - Chattanooga Times Free Press
- Discussion pushes view ordinance into further review - Coastline Pilot
- Happy birthday? FTC Commissioners testify before House Subcommittee as ... - Lexology (registration)
- LISTEN TO OR DOWNLOAD THE AUDIO VERSION AT WWW.ARNEWSLINE.ORG - eHam.net
- Lucky seven - Strayhorn affirmed - Lexology (registration)
- Hookah lounge moratorium extended - Daily Pilot
- Hard to Take the German Absolution of Tesla Fires Seriously - National Legal and Policy Center
- FDA moves swiftly on new compounding law - The Tennessean
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Tennessee Regulatory Authority
460 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243
Toll-free: (800) 342-8359
TTY: (888) 276-0677
- ↑ Tennessee Regulatory Authority "Leadership" Accessed November 23, 2012
- ↑ Chattanooga Times Free Press, "Robin Bennett named to Tennessee Regulatory Authority," accessed June 22, 2013
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 TN.gov, "TRA agency information," accessed October 24, 2011
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Lexisnexis.com, "Tennessee Code Ann. § 65-1-101," accessed October 24, 2011
- ↑ Tennessee.gov "Haslam Appoints David Jones to Tennessee Regulatory Authority" Accessed November 23, 2012
- ↑ Tennessee.gov "New Tennessee Regulatory Authority Takes Form" Accessed November 23, 2012
- ↑ Tennessee Regulatory Authority, " Message from the TRA," accessed December 28, 2012
- ↑ Tennessee Department of Finance and Administration, "The Budget, Fiscal Year 2013-2014," accessed April 8, 2013