Tennessee State Department of Education
|Tennessee Department of Education|
|FY 2012 Budget:||$5.6 billion|
|Website:||Department Home Page|
Tennessee school districts
List of school districts in Tennessee
Public education in Tennessee
School board elections portal
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
|“|| The Tennessee Department of Education strives to expand students’ access to effective teachers and leaders, families’ access to good schools, educators’ access to resources and best practices and public access to information and data.
In doing so, we commit ourselves to the following core values:
Excellence: We hold ourselves and our colleagues to high standards for our daily work and for reaching our goals. We actively seek and give feedback in an effort to advance outcomes for ourselves and the students we serve. We believe in the importance of continuous improvement, and we constantly strive for a higher level of performance in all of our work.
Optimism: We believe in the potential of all Tennessee students to reach high levels of academic achievement. We believe that, in collaboration with our colleagues across the state, we can and will build a system that helps our students meet their potential. We operate with a strong sense of possibility that we can accomplish difficult tasks, and we foster innovation in ourselves and others.
Judgment: We aspire to make wise decisions. Therefore, we seek input from a diverse set of perspectives and think critically about the impact of our choices. We use accurate data to set goals, analyze results, and to make changes based on evidence.
Courage: We are unwaveringly student-centered in our decision making, prioritizing the needs of students over the comfort of adults. We align our words and our actions to the core belief that all students can achieve at a high level when we provide the opportunities that they deserve. We make hard decisions to improve the academic achievement and life prospects of Tennessee students.
Teamwork: We believe that excellent teams, composed of high-performing team members, can have an enormous impact on student achievement. We value the diverse experiences and commitment to service that each team member brings. We strive to communicate effectively within teams and across teams, ensuring that we are successful in helping all Tennessee students reach their potential.
- Deputy Commissioner: Kathleen Airhart
- Chief of Staff: Hanseul Kang
- Executive Director, State Board of Education: Gary Nixon
- Superintendent of Achievement School District: Chris Barbic
- General Counsel: Christy Ballard
- Chief Information Officer: Richard Charlesworth
- Chief Financial Officer: Chris Foley
The Department of Education has several divisions overseen by assistant commissioners listed below:
- Data and Research: Erin O'Hara
- Policy and Legislation: Stephen M. Smith
- Curriculum and Instruction: Emily Barton
- Career and Technical Education: Danielle Mezera
- Teachers and Leaders: Sara Heyburn
- Special Populations: Joey Hassell
State Board of Education
The State Board of Education consists of 10 members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Tennessee General Assembly. Each congressional district in the state is represented by one member with a tenth member selected from Tennessee high schools. Lay members are appointed to five-year terms while the high school representative serves for one year. The executive director of the Tennessee Higher Education Commission serves as a non-voting member of the board. The board's primary responsibility is developing policy for elementary and secondary education in schools throughout the state.
The following chart outlines the organizational structure of the Tennessee Department of Education:
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Tennessee + Department + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Tennessee Commissioner of Education
- Tennessee school districts
- School board elections portal
- State of Tennessee, "2014 Budget Document," accessed January 22, 2014
- Tennessee State Library & Archives, "TENNESSEE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION RECORDS, 1874-1984," October 28, 1999
- U.S. Department of Education, "2012 EDFacts State Profile," accessed January 22, 2014
- Tennessee Department of Education, "Core Values," accessed January 22, 2014
- Tennessee Department of Education, "Contact Us," accessed January 22, 2014
- Tennessee State Department of Education, "Board Members," accessed February 19, 2014
- U.S. Department of Education, "Race to the Top: Tennessee Report, 2010-2011," January 10, 2012
State of Tennessee
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environment & Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Chairman of Regulatory Authority |
Tennessee State Department of Education | Tennessee school districts |