Tennessee Gubernatorial primary 2014 preview
|August 7, 2014 Election Preview|
By Garrett Fortin
The 2014 Tennessee primary elections are being held on August 7, 2014. There is one statewide executive office involved: Governor. The race has contested Democratic and Republican primaries. In all, there are eight candidates in the two major-party primaries along with three third-party candidates with unopposed primaries and two independent candidates without primaries.
The eight candidates for the two contested primaries are:
Republican Primary - Governor
Democratic Primary - Governor
Below, Ballotpedia has put together a preview of those upcoming elections.
- See also: Tennessee gubernatorial election, 2014
Incumbent Governor Bill Haslam faces three Republican primary challengers, none of whom are expected to seriously challenge Haslam's renomination. One noteworthy primary opponent, Mark "Coonrippy" Brown, is challenging Haslam solely in an attempt to get his pet raccoon, Rebekah, back from the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, who had seized the raccoon after a Youtube video of the raccoon went viral.
On the Democratic side, four candidates face off for the nomination. None of these candidates have gained a particularly high profile. The only candidate that has appeared in general election polling against Haslam is former Sullivan County Commissioner William H. "John" McKamey.
Five third-party candidates will face the winners of these two primaries in the general election. They are:
- Shaun Crowell - Constitution Party candidate and former Libertarian candidate for US Senate
- Isa Infante - Green Party candidate
- Daniel Lewis - self-indentified Libertarian Party candidate (will appear on the ballot as an Independent, though this is the subject of a lawsuit)
- Steve Coburn
- John Jay Hooker
- Tennessee elections, 2014
- Tennessee state executive elections (overview):
- Governing, "Tennessee Gov. Haslam to Run for Re-Election," December 18, 2012
- UPI, "Man running for Tennessee governor to get his raccoon back," January 8, 2014
- The Raw Story, "Tennessee man runs for governor in GOP primary for right to shower with his raccoon," January 8, 2014
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "Petitions Issued by State Election Commission Office," March 26, 2014
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "Elections," April 7, 2014
- Rasmussen Reports, "Election 2014: Tennessee Governor," May 2, 2014
- Ballot Access News, "Tennessee Libertarian Party Files Ballot Access Lawsuit," August 3, 2014