For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Tennessee House of Representatives District 53
|Tennessee House of Representatives District 53|
|Current incumbent||Jason Powell|
|Ethnicity||24.3% Black, 15.8% Hispanic|
|Voting age||77% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 61,050 civilians reside within Tennessee's fifty-third house district. Tennessee state representatives represent an average of 64,102 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 57,468 residents.
About the chamber
- A U.S. citizen
- 21 years old before the general election
- A three-year resident of Tennessee before the general election
- A county resident for 1 year prior to the general election
- A qualified voter
- The following situations would eliminate a candidate from qualifying for office:
- Those who have been convicted of offering or giving a bribe, or of larceny, or any other offense declared infamous by law, unless restored to citizenship in the mode pointed out by law;
- Those against whom there is a judgment unpaid for any moneys received by them, in any official capacity, due to the United States, to this state, or any county thereof;
- Those who are defaulters to the treasury at the time of the election, and the election of any such person shall be void;
- Soldiers, seamen, marines, or airmen in the regular army or navy or air force of the United States; and
- Members of congress, and persons holding any office of profit or trust under any foreign power, other state of the union, or under the United States.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Tennessee Legislature are paid $19,009/year. Legislators receive $173/day per diem tied to the federal rate.
In Tennessee, there are two ways a vacancy can be filled in the house. When twelve months or more remain in a unfilled term, a special election must be held within the allowable time frame set by law. If less than twelve months remain in the term, the current members of the house must vote on a replacement.
Elections for 99 seats in the Tennessee House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 7, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 3, 2014. Incumbent Jason Powell was unopposed in the Democratic primary. John Wang was unopposed in the Republican primary. Tonya Miller ran as an Independent candidate. Powell defeated Wang and Miller in the general election.
|Tennessee House of Representatives District 53, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Jason Powell Incumbent||53.3%||6,098|
Elections for the office of Tennessee House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on August 2, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 5, 2011. Jason Powell (D) defeated Ben Claybaker (R) in the general election and defeated Jason Potts in the Democratic primary. Claybaker defeated Tonya Miller in the Republican primary.
|Tennessee House of Representatives, District 53, General Election, 2012|
|Tennessee House of Representatives, District 53 Republican Primary, 2012|
Since 2000, candidates for Tennessee House of Representatives District 53 have raised a total of $642,388. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $33,810 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Tennessee House of Representatives District 53|
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- publicmapping.org, "Tennessee 2010 Census Selected Statistics," accessed October 24, 2013
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "Qualifications for elected offices in Tennessee," accessed December 18, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Tennessee Legislature, "Tennessee Constitution," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Section Article II, Section 15)
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "August 7, 2014 Election Results," accessed September 11, 2014
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "Petitions Filed for State Senate and State House of Representatives," accessed April 5, 2014
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "Official primary results," accessed October 24, 2013
- "Tennessee Secretary of State - Official general election results," accessed October 24, 2013
State of Tennessee
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environment & Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Chairman of Regulatory Authority |
Tennessee Supreme Court | Court of Appeals | Court of Criminal Appeals | Chancery Courts | Circuit Courts | General Sessions Courts | Probate Courts | Criminal Courts | Juvenile Courts | Judicial selection in Tennessee |