|U.S. House, Missouri, District 4|
Upon graduation from Raymond-Peculiar high school, Hensley earned her undergraduate degree at William Jewell College and her J.D. from the University of Missouri in Kansas City. Before becoming Cass County prosecutor, Hensley was a partner and practicing attorney for 14 years with the Hensley Law Firm in Raymore. She has also served as a Raymore Alderman, and as a member of the Hope Haven board, the Raymore Planning and Zoning board, and the Missouri Child Abuse and Neglect Review board.
On her campaign website, Hensley lists five issues. They are:
- Creating Jobs and Getting Missouri Working Again
- On her website, Hensley says, "Looking back at the history of some of America’s most successful companies, they all started out as small businesses. Whether in a garage or a small storefront, every company started small and made it big. No company ever started with thousands of employees. Successful companies found success thanks to the ingenuity and entrepreneurship of the businessmen and women who founded them. As your Congresswoman, Teresa will work to create jobs by supporting small businesses and the entrepreneurs who are setting out to launch the next great American business right here in Missouri."
- Balancing the Budget the Right Way
- On her website, Hensley says, "It’s no surprise that, with a budget this out of balance, we can’t keep our economy on the right track. To get our economy working again we’re going to have to make smart decisions based on facts and Missouri values, not politics, when it comes to the budget. Teresa will balance the budget right away by pushing for common sense reform that grows our middle class and makes everyone – like wealthy corporations and millionaires – pay their fair share."
- Supporting our Military and Veterans
- On her website, Hensley says, "Teresa will stand up for our military by ensuring that our district’s bases have the resources they need to fulfill their mission. Her continued support of these bases will not only help protect our country abroad, but also protect the jobs and families their presence in Missouri supports. Teresa will also make certain that our veterans have access to the best possible care and treatment, as well as access to assistance as they seek jobs when leaving military service."
- Keeping our Promise to our Seniors by Strengthening Social Security and Medicare
- On her website, Hensley says, "Teresa’s dad retired with a full pension after working decades as a union plumber. She knows that most of our retirees are not that fortunate. Today’s working families are struggling to make ends meet every week and don’t have the resources to plan for the future. Teresa will work to strengthen Social Security and Medicare and find ways to help our working families save for their futures. It’s a promise made. It’s a promise we need to keep. It’s that simple."
- Making Government more Accountable
- On her website, Hensley says, "Americans have lost faith in their government partly because their government is no longer accountable to them. What does it say about our government when lobbyists can hold closed door meetings with Members of Congress by simply picking up the phone, but citizens have to jump through hoops to speak to their representative? Teresa will represent citizens of the Fourth District in a manner that is both open and accountable. That’s how the Cass County Prosecutor’s office is run, and that’s how Teresa will serve you in Washington."
Hensley was defeated by incumbent Vicky Hartzler. Hensley ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Missouri's 4th District. Hensley ran as a Democratic candidate unopposed in the Democratic primary.
According to the Washington Post, redistricting has turned the 4th District from a safely conservative seat into a swing district. Republican incumbent Vicky Hartzler faces real competition from Hensley, who recently has been raising more money than the incumbent.
|U.S. House, Missouri District 4 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Vicky Hartzler Incumbent||60.3%||192,237|
|Source: Missouri Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, Missouri's 4th Congressional District, 2012 - Teresa Hensley Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||1510603|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||1404888|
|Top contributors to Teresa Hensley's campaign committee|
|Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers||$10,200|
|Carpenters & Joiners Union||$10,000|
|International Assn of Fire Fighters||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Building Trade Unions||$66,750|
|Public Sector Unions||$25,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Teresa + Hensley + Missouri + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.