Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 1|
McCarley works at International Converter of Iuka, MS, an adhesive, lamination and extrusion coating materials firm. He volunteers as a leader with the Boy and Cub Scouts and coaches youth baseball and basketball teams.
On his 2011 campaign website McCarley focuses on four issues:
- Job recruitment: "Thomas K.McCarley will work with area, state and federal leaders to market and promote Northeast Mississippi to business and industry. With a good rail system, the Tennessee River and the Tenn-Tom Waterway, he said, the area has much to offer."
- Education funding: "Thomas K. McCarley supports funding public education at the highest level. He opposes any additional education budget cuts; he said public schools already have suffered enough with three hundred million dollars in state funding cuts the past three years."
- Public safety: "Thomas K. McCarley supports providing firefighters as well as local, county and state law enforcement officers, with the equipment and manpower they need to effectively protect the lives and property of everyone – including themselves."
- Property taxes: "Thomas K.McCarley opposes reducing state financial support for kindergarten through 12th grade public schools, which would shift the funding responsibility to the local level – and require an increase in local property taxes on homes and vehicles."
McCarley ran in the 2011 election for Mississippi House of Representatives District 1. He defeated Rex Weathers in the primary on August 2, 2011. Republican incumbent Lester Carpenter ran unopposed in the August 2 Republican primary. McCarley lost the general election on November 8, 2011.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 1 General Election, 2011|
|Republican||Lester Carpenter Incumbent||67.9%||5,343|
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 1 Democratic Primary, 2011|
- Official campaign website
- Vote-MS.org profile
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Facebook campaign group
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |