|South Dakota State Senate District 31|
|Base salary||$12,000/two-year term|
|Per diem||$110/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||Four terms|
|Mayor of Lead, South Dakota|
|Bachelor's||South Dakota State University, 1979|
|Birthday||July 30, 1957|
|Place of birth||Lead, SD|
|Profession||Manager, Best Western Hickok House|
At the end of his term, Nelson was the mayor of the City of Lead.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Nelson served on the following committees:
- Commerce and Energy Committee, South Dakota State Senate, Chair
- Local Government Committee, South Dakota State Senate
- Retirement Laws Committee, South Dakota State Senate, Vice Chair
- Taxation Committee, South Dakota State Senate
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Nelson served on the following committees:
- Commerce Committee, South Dakota Senate
- Retirement Laws Committee, South Dakota Senate
- Taxation Committee, South Dakota Senate
|South Dakota State Senate District 31 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Thomas R. Nelson Incumbent||38%||980|
|South Dakota State Senate, District 31 (2010)|
|Thomas Nelson (D)||5,824||59.46%|
|Nyla Griffith (D)||3,970||40.54%|
Nelson raised $55,913 for his campaign while Griffith raised $20,114.
|South Dakota State Senate, District 31 (2008)|
|Thomas Nelson (R)||6,159||54.21%|
|Nyla Griffith (D)||5,202||45.79%|
In 2010, Nelson received $24,616 in campaign donations. The largest contributors are listed below.
|South Dakota State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Thomas Nelson's campaign in 2010|
|South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association||$1,000|
|Bergh, Keith B||$1,000|
|South Dakota Beer Wholesalers Association||$600|
|Independent Community Bankers Of South Dakota||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$24,616|
Nelson raised $55,913 during the 2008 election cycle.
His top contributors are listed below.
|Lawrence County Republican Party||$3,472|
|South Dakota Republican Party||$3,141|
|Senate Republican Campaign Committee of South Dakota||$1,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Thomas + Nelson + South + Dakota + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Profile from the South Dakota Legislature
- Bio from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008
- City of Lead, South Dakota, "City Staff & Employees," retrieved February 7, 2013.
- Office of the South Dakota Secretary of State "2012 Primary Election Candidate List," Accessed April 9, 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State "Official Primary Results," June 12, 2012
- 2008 Election Results, South Dakota Senate, District 31
- District 31 South Dakota Senate Spending, 2008
- followthemoney.org, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Campaign contributors to Thomas Nelson
|South Dakota Senate District 31
| Succeeded by|
Bob Ewing (R)