|U.S. House, Pennsylvania, District 5|
|Years of service||1980-2002|
|Place of birth||Williamsport, Pennsylvania|
In 1980, Tarantella joined the United States Army. He worked as a member of the Rapid Deployment Force, a paratrooper and a lite fighter. He was deployed internationally multiple times and earned seven campaign ribbons, a Bronze Star, five Meritorious Service Medals, four Army Commendation Medals and 13 Army Achievement Medals. After serving for 22 years, he was honorably discharged in 2002.
Tarantella listed the following issues on his campaign website:
- Privacy: "The right to privacy is a basic human right. The Constitution does not specifically mention a right to privacy. However, Supreme Court decisions over the years have established that the right to privacy is a basic human right, and as such is protected by virtue of the 9th Amendment. The people of the United States should feel security in their homes and safety in their streets through better police force training."
- Separation of Church and State: "Although the phrase “separation of church and state” does not appear anywhere in the Constitution, the phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion."
- Military: "[O]ur soldiers need better taken care of when at war and when home, they need medical care and should not have to try and survive on food stamps after fighting for our country."
- Note: The above excerpts are from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
Tarantella ran in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Pennsylvania's 5th District. Tarantella lost the Democratic nomination in the primary on May 20, 2014 to Kerith Strano Taylor.
|U.S. House, Pennsylvania District 5 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Kerith Strano Taylor||55.4%||12,585|
|Thomas Edward Tarantella||44.6%||10,126|
|Source: Results via Associated Press Vote totals above are unofficial and will be updated once official totals are made available.|
|Thomas Tarantella (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 23, 2014||$0.00||$1,273.97||$(1,090.53)||$183.44|
Tarantella has been married to his wife, Ann, for 31 years. They have three children and five grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Thomas + Tarantella + Pennsylvania + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Federal Election Commission, "Thomas Edward Tarantella," accessed October 30, 2013
- Associated Press, "Pennsylvania - Summary Vote Results," May 20, 2014
- Thomas Tarantella: Democratic Political Candidate, "About," accessed November 4, 2013
- Information submitted on Ballotpedia’s biographical information submission form on November 3, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Tarantella 2014 Summary reports," accessed May 13, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "April Quarterly," accessed May 13, 2014
State of Pennsylvania
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Secretary of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Conservation and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor & Industry | Chairman of Public Utilities |