Timothy C. Draper
Draper is said to be the creator of online viral marketing. His idea to use "viral marketing" in web-based e-mail to geometrically spread an Internet product to its market was instrumental to the successes of "Hotmail" and "Yahoo! Mail", and has been adopted as a standard marketing technique of hundreds of businesses. Draper coined the use of the term "viral marketing" in connection with Internet services.
Draper invested in and contributed to the development of Skype, Baidu, Overture, and Hotmail.
Draper's official biography describes him as "an advocate for entrepreneurs and free markets." He is an alumni of Harvard and won the Commmonwealth Club's Distinguished Citizen Award for achievements in green and sustainable energy. He is the chairman of BizWorld, which teaches entrepreneurship and business to children. He serves on the Harvard Business School Board of Dean's Advisors. He started a school in San Mateo, the Draper University of Heroes, that is geared toward people who want to learn how to lead tech startups.
Ballot measure involvement
In December 2013, Draper filed language for the "Six Californias" Initiative. This initiative, if it qualifies for the ballot and is approved by the state's voters, will call on the United States Congress to officially divide California into six separate states.
|Proposition 38, School Vouchers||2000||$23,386,553|
|Proposition 32, Paycheck Protection||2012||$100,000|
Draper is married to Melissa Draper and their children are Jesse Draper, Eleanor Draper, Adam Draper, and Billy Draper.
- Official biography of Timothy Draper
- Tim Draper profiled in The Venture Capital Journal
- Tim Draper speaks at Stanford
- Draper University of Heroes
- Connected Marketing: The Viral, Buzz and Word of Mouth Revolution
- Timothy Draper biography
- Times-Standard, "Six degrees of separation; tech investor launches ballot measure to divide the state", December 24, 2013
- Contra Costa Times, "Tech investor Tim Draper launches 'Six Californias' ballot measure to divide the Golden State", December 23, 2013
- UCLA Bruins, "Adam Draper - Men's Tennis"