|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 102|
|2008 - present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||7|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 6, 2007|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Bachelor's||University of Southern Mississippi|
|Master's||University of Southern Mississippi|
|Date of birth||December 31, 1981|
|Place of birth||Meridian, Mississippi|
|Profession||Director, Southern Mississippi Business Assistance Center|
Barker earned his B.A. and M.S. from the University of Southern Mississippi. His professional experience includes working as Director of the Southern Mississippi Business Assistance Center.
During the 2012-2013 legislative session, Barker served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Public Health and Human Services, Vice Chair|
|• Public Property|
|• Universities and Colleges|
During the 2010-2011 legislative session, Barker served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2010|
|• Select Committee on Poverty, Vice Chair|
|• Public Health and Human Services|
|• Public Property|
|• Universities and Colleges|
On November 8, 2011, Barker won re-election to District 102 of the Mississippi House of Representatives. He defeated Ric McCluskey in the primary on August 2, 2011. Barker defeated Democratic candidate David Cook in the November 8 general election.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 102 General Election, 2011|
|Republican||Toby Barker Incumbent||65.9%||3,957|
On November 6, 2007, Barker was elected in District 102, defeating Democratic challenger Jolly Matthews III in the general election.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 102 (2007)|
|Toby Barker (R)||2,955||62.59%|
|Jolly Matthews III (D)||1,766||37.41%|
In 2011, Barker received $74,475 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Mississippi House of Representatives 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Toby Barker's campaign in 2011|
|Mississippi House Republican Conference||$4,000|
|Mississippi Bankers Association||$3,000|
|Mississippi Hospital Association||$2,500|
|Mississippi Medical Association||$2,000|
|Barksdale, James L||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$74,475|
|Total Votes received in 2011||3,957|
|Cost of each vote received||$18.82|
In 2007, Barker collected $87,931 in donations.
Listed below are the five largest contributors to his campaign.
|Mississippi Republican Party||$15,000|
|Mississippi Association of Realtors||$4,000|
|Home Builders Association of Mississippi||$3,000|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
Barker is a member of the Area Development Partnership, Downtown Association, Pi Kappa Phi Alumni Chapter, Pine Belt Innovation Council, and the Rotary Club.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Toby + Barker + Mississippi + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2009, 2007
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Barker
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2011 Primary Election Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "Official 2011 General Election Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2007 Statewide Elections," accessed February 14, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Mississippi 2011 - Candidates," accessed February 13, 2014
- Follow the Money, 2007 contributions to Toby Barker
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 102
| Succeeded by|
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |